4) Quirks

Sydney's POV

"Alright everyone, remember that Friday is when we are giving the commentaries." Mrs. Hanson reminded everyone in the English period. When the bell rang I hopped out of my chair and made my way to the door.

The only thing I was dreading was detention. What if there was someone I knew there? I did not even want to be caught dead there with someone I knew. The conversation went on and on in my head. Before I knew it, the daunting door was in front of me, as was Mrs. Jerne. Her hair fell in thin and fine strands. Her eyes were a weird green that made her scary to look at. Her personality did not help in trying to make her less scary. She was just scary.

I ducked my head and walked through the door frame, trying to put as much distance between Mrs. Jerne and myself as the doorframe would allow. I looked around, not seeing anyone I recognized and sat down in the back corner.

I put my backpack down and pulled out my phone to quickly check different social networks or text messages. Soon, I sensed someone behind me; they were so close I could feel their breath on my neck. Shivers ran down my spine.

"You're in my seat, honey," the raspy voice said. I grew stiff and I turned around to see Brandon Mell sneer at me. His teeth were crooked, his hair was always greasy, and he was creepy. I tried my best everyday to avoid him as much as possible.

I flinched when he took a piece of my hair and put it behind my ear. I did not like it when people touched me. I had a huge personal bubble and I did not like it when someone touched me like that, especially uninvited and especially when Brandon's dirty fingernails scraped the skin behind my ear.

Brandon's hand stayed behind me ear. He leaned in to say something and I could smell his breath.

It was disgusting.

When he was way too close for comfort, and moving closer, a voice came from behind Brandon.

"Uh, what in the world are you doing?"

I registered the voice before I saw the face. It was probably the first time I had really wanted his help. Carter stood behind Brandon with big eyes and a furrowed brow. He looked as freaked out as I felt.

Brandon quickly removed his hand from my face and increased the distance between our faces. I let out what breath I had been holding. I did not realize I was holding my breath. Brandon walked away and sat down in a chair then put his head in his arms.

"What are you doing here?" Carter was highly amused. I rolled my eyes and reluctantly answered.

"I got detention."

"For what?"

"For laughing at Mr. Alton. He looked like he was putting himself to sleep because his class was so boring. Then I laughed and I totally did not mean to! He asked what was wrong and I did not want to tell him because that would be mean, I could feel another laugh threatening to come. I couldn't say anything because then the laugh would come out and also I couldn't say anything because how would you feel if someone said 'hey, you are so boring you are even putting yourself to sleep.' That would be so mean! So I couldn't do anything! But, the laugh came out anyway! So he said I was disrespectful and gave me detention."

Carter was laughing so hard I was convinced he was going to pee his pants right then and there. "That is probably the funniest thing I have ever heard."

"Hilarious. More like embarrassing! I never get detention."

"I can tell," Carter managed to spit out as he was still laughing.

"Just go sit down, Carter." I laughed and pointed to a random seat.

Silence fell quickly when Mrs. Jerne walked back through the door frame. Carter rushed to a seat closeish to mine. From then on it was absolutely silent.