12) Pinch Me I am Dreaming

If you told me that I would be dating Carter Jones a couple months ago, heck, a month ago, I would have laughed in your face. But today, I walked down the hallway in search of my boyfriend. Yes! My boyfriend!

Oh, sorry, let me rewind...

* * * * *

Carter leaned down, kissed my forehead and said, "Alright, my little gem." I could not help but smile, it sounded so good coming from his lips. I closed my eyes, savoring the moment. I had no idea what Carter was doing, probably staring at me though. But I did not care, I was his little gem.

"So, are we dating?" I inquired. Honestly, I was a little confused. We had not said it "officially" but I had said I wanted to be his little gem. My question earned a light laugh from Carter.

"Is that what you want?" He looked at me as I nodded my head.

Suddenly, I stopped nodding. What if that was not what he wanted? "I mean, only if thats what you want?" I looked expectantly into his eyes.

"That is what I want." Carter smiled, his smile reached his eyes; I knew it was genuine. I just smiled, it made me so happy. He then took my other hand, as my other one was still in his hand, "Sydney Tate, will you be my girlfriend?" He tried to keep a straight face, but I could barely hold it together, so we both ended up cracking up.

"I am sorry!" I gasped as I tried to catch my breath. It was a little cheesy, but Carter was trying to make it official, and here I was laughing at him!

"It is okay, Sydney, it was really cheesy. I wanted to make it official somehow!" Carter, with both of my hands still in his, pulled me closer. I looked up at him. Can we just say how glad I was that he was taller than me? I mean, I was average but short enough that most guys were taller than me, thank goodness.

"Yes, Carter, I will be your girlfriend." I mumbled in Carter's shirt. "You smell really good." I looked up at him through my eyelashed. Looking up, I found a smirking Carter.

"I know." He shrugged his shoulders. "Obviously." He spoke in a 'duh' tone. I took my hands out of his and playfully pushed on his chest, pushing me away from him. He frowned, I laughed and turned around and started walking.

One step.

Two steps.

Three steps.

Arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me backwards. I shrieked in surprise, even though I was expecting it. "Your hair looks really good." Carter's breath tickled my ear.

"I know." I smirked, using his words against him. He caught on but only laughed. "Do you want to go back inside?" I raised an eyebrow. He returned the look mockingly.

"We can stay out here." Carter suggested, I nodded because I had danced myself out and I was still a little tired...and my feet hurt.

We spent the next hour talking about anything and everything from favorite food to plans for the future. I had never laughed so much, and I enjoyed every second of it. When the dance ended I met Claire and Rory at the entrance. Carter and I walked hand in hand towards them. They looked like they were going to pass out or start screaming. I hoped they did not do either. They did not say anything infront of us two, but in the car they exploded.

"Tell us everything!" Claire screeched. I plugged my ears, it was so loud. Rory demanded to hear as well.

I proceeded to tell them the events of the previous hour. Appropriate yelps, "aww"'s, and comments were made, especially when I told them about him calling me "his little gem". I recounted the hour of us talking and laughing. They thought it was funny when I told them his cheesy attempt to make us official.