The New School

I managed to escape my solitary confinement and progress to elementary school. It was an interesting situation for me because John and would be in the same school for the first time, and I was not aware of the expectations. I didn't know anyone who would be in my class, the differences between kindergarten and preschool, or the dangers that lurked in my new surroundings. Were the other kids going to be the same as before and shun me? Will have more of a chance to fit in? Only time would tell.

At this point in time, I was still not comfortable speaking in front of others. I still communicated through written notes and minimal signing. It was hard being the only one with these special conditions, like I was the last of my kind. I felt like an tourist in my own home, where I understood them but no one understood me.

The first day of school came faster than I expected. I was not ready for this new, unknown environment; I didn't have enough time to mentally prepare for what was about to happen. It wasn't like I had much say in the matter. I needed to go to school regardless of how I felt. Like the adult I needed to be, I just had to suck it up and do what I needed to do. With that I put on my best hand-me-down clothes, packed my backpack, and wished for the best. John thought I was getting worked up over nothing, but he didn't know what I dealt with prior to this. If only he knew.

I waited outside the classroom with the rest of the kids. I looked around and saw all the parents with their child. Fathers and mothers waiting to meet the teachers and whisk their children away for the day. John and I walked with our grandfather to school, which was only a block away from his house. It was ideal, in case something were to happen to us and need to be sent home. John barely made eye contact with me, staring forward. When we got to the entrance, John immediately bolted towards his peers. No "good-bye", no "Have a good day". I guess kindergarten students were a detriment to his social status as an "elite" third-grader. Love you too, brother. Our grandfather left us to return back to Jacob. I was alone again.

I wandered around aimlessly, looking for someone to help me. Eventually, I stumbled upon the school's main office; a large, white building with large groups of people coming in and out of the double doors. I entered the chaos, hopelessly looking for someone to help me. An older lady walked past me, then stopped. She looked down at me with a concerned expression.

"Are you lost?" she said, crouching down to make eye contact. Her name tag read "Linda". I nodded. "What's your name?" Thinking fast, I took my backpack off and pointed at my name in Mother's handwriting. She lifted the reading glasses hanging from a chain around her neck. Then her eyes lit up with excitement, like she found buried treasure.

It turns out she was a friend of my mother. She worked part time as a waitress at one of the restaurant chains. She met Mother when John started attending Ka'awa Elementary School and were friends ever since. She said she recognized my last name and saw the family resemblance. White was a pretty rare name where I came from.

"You're John White's brother?" She was excited to meet me. Apparently, siblings in the same school was fairly rare too. I nodded in response. Her expression then transitioned to concern.

"Do you talk?" I looked down and shook my head. Her eye grew soft. She felt sorry for me, and I didn't like it. I don't want people to feel sorry for my situation; I want people to understand it. I wanted to be accepted and helped appropriately. She stood up and extended her hand. I grabbed her hand and she walked me to the front desk.

She spoke with the clerk on my behalf. She found out my room number and away we went. The entire area was eerily empty. Apparently, the starting bell rung while I was in the office. There was no one within eyeshot. I felt like I was the last person on Earth. Linda knocked on a white-painted wooden door. It had "Welcome to Room 111" in big, black letters.