paper:

okay so this isn't a poem but it's something from inside of me
---------

we copied papers in silence.
 we couldn't talk; neither of us could bring ourselves to say something. we continued like this for what seemed like centuries. until finally he cracked. 
"i can't do this, we both know. you like me, right?"
i laughed a painful laugh, "yeah, i guess."
"and you know that i know that you like me, right?"
i nodded. 
"what do you know, from my perspective?" he asked.
i sighed. "i know that she told you, but not on purpose. i know that you didn't act on it, nor did you seem to excited about it. i know that you told your sister. i know that we haven't said a word to each other since you found out."
he laughed. "yeah, i guess."
he paused. "at first, i didn't want to like you, at least i think i didn't. and then i started watching you, and i know you know that i watched you, because you caught me sometimes. but i caught you too sometimes. and sometimes, we'd look at each other, right in the eyes. i never thought i'd love to see the tiny specks of gold hidden inside those seas of blue. at first, i didn't want to like you, but i think i do now. but that doesn't mean we should date. i'm well-known for lacking commitment, plus i'm leaving in a few months, and i'd never want to hurt you. that's why, at least i think, i never talked to you. i've got toxic words hidden behind my mouth, and i'd never want to poison you..."
i smiled and looked him in the eyes. he was as red as i felt. he looked like he just ran a marathon, those words from inside finally leaving and being put in the air we breathe.
he smiled at me. i'd never been close enough to really see his eyes. i never want to look at something else. 
"wow." that's all my brain could sum up to say. 
"wow." he repeated with a laugh. we smiled and looked at the ground. 
we stood like this for a few seconds, basking in the freedom that that small word gave us. he looked at me. he grabbed my pinky with his own.
"my hands are kind of sweaty."
"mine are too" he replied. 

we copied papers in silence, but we had smiles that spoke for us. 

--------
there is no song that i think i could get to describe this situation, no matter how deep i dug.