[ 10 ] Journey to the Surface

Original Stats:
244 Views. 15 Votes. 6 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Journey to the Surface

Bionics (Bree)

━━━━━━━━━

It was cold, when compared to how hot the small room now aflame had gotten. I had almost taken the heat for granite, or the ground, for that matter. My feet had nothing to push off of. I opened my eyes, the salt stinging into them for just a second before they adjusted accordingly. I was far below the surface, I had even drifted away from the hatch. I could no longer look up to see the others. But I wasn't so far down that I was at the bottom of the ocean. I pressed my lips together, quickly turning my head back against the seas to see the sunlight bouncing off the surface. If I actually started to swim, I would be at the surface in a matter of seconds.

I went to force my arms above my head, trying to begin to swim before my bone began to press tighter against my skin. My heart dropped as I gently pulled my arm back into my stomach. I didn't need to start bleeding while I was swimming in what I had assumed to be shark infested waters. I kicked my legs, back and forth, and used my right arm to grasp for the surface as I began to move upwards. My lungs were crying for air, and sadly, I couldn't breath underwater like Adam could. With every kick of my legs, every movement of my right arm, I could see the surface grow closer and closer.

I sucked in, gasping for air as I broke above the surface of the blue ocean for only a second. The current quickly slid me back under, pushing me closer to the beach with every whip it had against me. My body smashed into the beach, the coughing beginning again as I got up what little water that had entered my lungs during my excursion. I flipped over onto my back as the tide raced up next to me, placing my broken arm onto my stomach as I took in one deep breath after another. My eyes scanned over the clear sky before a sound just a few yards away caught my attention. The end of the bombing had taken place.

My heart rate picked up in speed as I forced myself up off the ground. I quickly broke into a run towards the check in center, not caring for the moment if there were any dangers lying ahead for me. I kicked down the door, glancing from side to side before entering into the room. From wall to wall, smoke billowed, just the same as in the back room just feet from me. The walls had been cracked, two being caved in, but the most damage was done to the hydro loop. There was not a recognizable feature about it. Glass shards from the monitors on the walls and from the inside of the car laid all about. The steel had been burnt as well, so much to the point that it was bent beyond return. This place was a mess. There would be no repairing of it, only rebuilding. If we even lived till that point and time.

My eyes began to burn once more with the smoke as I turned back to the beach. The area just out here, completely untouched by any of the action that had been going on during the attacks. I was dripping in salt water, my mentor suit sticking to my body uncomfortably as I reached up and wrung out my hair with my right hand. I let my eyes scan over the horizon, following the path of the half broken hydro loop until I could see the man made island in sight. I swallowed hard before speeding off, this being the first use of my bionics since far before the attacks. I stopped on the edge of the island, causing sand to fly every which way as I quickly hiked around to the door. It would be locked, I knew that much. The only other way in would be to climb through the skylight in the living quarters. And I needed to get the others help, quick. Who knows what the second attack had brought to my family.

"Bree?" A voice called from behind me, putting me into defense mode as I flipped around to see Bob standing just behind me with seaweed in his hands. I could feel my heart lurch at the sight of him, my right arm flying out and grasping onto him as I pulled him into a hug. "You smell like smoke and salt water." Bob coughed as he reluctantly pushed me away. "But I appreciate the hug."

"Bob." I started, trying to reach for his attention once more. "I need to get inside. Please tell me you have a key card with you or something." I pleaded, watching as Bob pulled a single card from out of his pocket. Davenport only gave the key cards for the locked doors to the officials, like the mentors, Douglas, Perry, and himself. My own key card had burned in the fire, but Perry gladly handed out the cards to the certain kids she had a hatred for. Bob being a prime example. She had been hoping they would drown if they left the confines of the academy.

"What happened?" His words were hurried as I clasped onto the card, spinning around and sliding it through the slot before the door popped open for us. I shook my head as I handed the card back to Bob, pulling him inside along with me. "Bree, your arm is snapped." He added in shock as his face twisted in disgust. "It's bleeding! The bone's sticking out!" With that sentence, the entire academy stopped what they were doing. Each of the students turned to look at me in all my glory. My hair was knotted, wet, and caked with ashes from the fire. My skin has since dried, but my clothes were damp from the swim. As Bob had said, my arm was bleeding. The run to the island couldn't have been good for the setting of the bone, as it was now fully hanging out of my skin.

"Someone get her to the health center!" A top level student called as they all quickly rushed towards me. I waved them off, stepping around them and making my way to the elevated area by the window. We had just had our conversation with Chase here the night before. The students looked to me expectantly, Spin showing up at my side with a large towel before he gently wrapped it around my arm. I had Spin and Bob at my side, that at least calmed my nerves a bit.

"I need everyone to listen!" I yelled, my voice straining slightly after the events of the last few days. The students fell silent, each of their eyes on me as I spoke. "We, the mentors, Mr. Davenport and Douglas, have been keeping something from you all." I could feel the tears begin to well in my eyes, Spin placing his hand on my shoulder for support. "Chase is alive, and is working with Giselle, and Troy, in an army against the bionic race." The students held shock on their faces, but each stayed silent. No one wanting to interrupt me as I spoke.

"How do you know he's alive?" Spin asked quietly, his eyes showing his worry.

"We spoke with Chase last night. He officially declared war against us during the call. It's Giselle's androids, against us. Their main goal is to eradicate the bionic race from existence. Make it as though any of us never existed." I explained, getting nods from the students in the front. "I've just survived the first attack, one that destroyed the check in center on the mainland, and one that has trapped my family inside. Mr. Davenport, Douglas, and Leo, are fine. I'm only walking away with a broken arm. But I had to come get help."

I let my eyes fall to Bob, his expression showing his desolate mood as the facts hit him. I had left one name out. "What about Adam?"

"Adam," I paused as I looked away from Bob, "is still breathing. But he's been unconscious since the attack first hit. He and I were trapped under a table and a steel wall for more than ten minutes." I reluctantly explained as I kept my eyes away from Bob. "I'm going to need everyone's help to get them out, and to hopefully save Adam. But this is just the start." I shook my head as images of Chase flashed over my eyesight. "This war has only just begun. But with your help, we will save the bionic race." I finished, feeling lightheaded as I glanced down at the towel rapped around my arm. The entire white towel was soaked in red. I could see black spots start to take over my vision just as Bob picked me up in his arms, slowly walking me back to the health center. I threw my head back to watch as the students quickly geoleaped out of the academy. Hopefully, Adam would be okay. But right now, I knew I surely wasn't.

And it was all thanks to Chase.

━━━━━━━━━

Thanks for reading!

Vote, Comment, or Follow either this profile or Smilie254 when you can!

~Shay