Chapter Twelve

Louis

Finally, we pull up outside my house. I knew it was coming but I'm still not quite ready to be here. Except, I am, because as soon as I started recognizing the landmarks we've passed, my body was buzzing with excitement.

It's still buzzing.

I've jumped out of the car the second it stops moving, before it's even shut off.

And then I just stand there, at the edge of the walkway to the front porch. It's my house, the familiar house I've lived in for years, and from the outside, it looks the same, and I don't know what the problem is, but my feet won't listen to me.

I don't want to go in.

I don't want to see that things have changed.

And then the driver strides past me, and knocks on the front door. Great. Now he's gonna be the first thing my mum sees. I don't know why that matters to me but apparently it does.

My mum opens the door as soon as he knocks, and she looks exactly the same, and I can't help myself.

I run up the path and into her open arms, not even caring that I'm 21 and probably shouldn't be so excited to see my mum.

Or at least, I shouldn't show it.

Where the neighbours can see.

But I don't care, I'm just so happy to be home.

“H-hey, Louis” my mum says, obviously taken aback by my hug.

In all fairness, so was I.

I let go, step back.

“Hi, mum” I say softly.

She smiles, the familiar mum smile that means safety and love and I missed it so much and I didn't know how much I needed it until right now.

“I missed you” she says. “I'm glad you're home.”

I am too.

I'm glad I'm home.

-

We head into my den, and Mum invites Harry and our driver to sit down. On our familiar couch. It has a stain where I dropped a chocolate ice cream onto it, and it looks as if the side has been chewed, from the time we took in Flynn's dog and he tried to eat our couch. Nothing's changed yet and it's amazing.

Harry collapses onto the couch as though he's been here before, and I suppose he must have been. But it doesn't bother me so much anymore, because everything's okay now.

I sit next to him, Mum sits in our armchair, and the driver uncomfortably lowers himself onto the couch next to Harry.