Chapter Four

EDITED

"So, the Walcott's were the first

"So, the Walcott's were the first. At least the first that we know about." Stiles started, taping photos to the board in front of him with red tape. "Four murders. Sean, his brother, and their parents. They were killed by a professional assassin called The Mute. Weapon of choice, a military tomahawk. But then The Mute was killed by Peter Hale after he tried to blow up Derek with a Claymore mine. Next was Demarco. He delivered a keg to the party at Lydia's lake house. And got decapitated outside his car." Stiles said, Isabelle watched as Stiles glided his hand to secure the tape.

"It's a deadpool." Isabelle said as Scott unfolded a piece of paper with names and numbers on it.

SEAN WALCOTT 250
DAVID WALCOTT 250
MICHAEL WALCOTT 250
CHRISTINA WALCOTT 250
LYDIA MARTIN 20
SCOTT MCCALL 25
DEMARCO MONTANA 250
DEREK HALE 15
CARRIE HUDSON 500
KAYLEEN BETTCHER 250
KIRA YUKIMURA 6
ELIAS TOWN 250

"A hit list of supernatural creatures. This is only part of it. The rest is to be decoded." Scott said.
"Who found this list?" Sheriff Stilinski asked, reading through the names.
"Lydia." Isabelle answered, tapping her fingers on the desk, trying to fidget to keep herself busy. Stiles noticed and offered his hand to her, the girl smiled graciously and played with the older boy's fingers.
"How?"
"She wrote it." Stiles said, looking from the girl to his father, "Actually she transcribed it without realizing it."
"Banshee?" Sheriff asked.
"Banshee." Stiles replied, with a nod.
"Perhaps Banshee will be our always." Isabelle jokes, making Stiles roll his eyes and retract his hand.
"Beautiful." the sheriff says, "All right. What are these numbers next to their names?"
"We're getting to that. First, you need to know that the code was broken with a cipher key." Stiles said.
"Wait, you mean, like a... like a keyword?"
"It's actually a name." Stiles said.
"Allison." Scott finished.
"Her name broke a third of the list." Isabelle said, gesturing to the sheet of paper.
"And now we think there's two other chipper keys." Scott said.
"Which will give us the rest of the names. Okay. So how do we get the cipher keys?" Stilinski asked.
"Lydia. She's been out at the lake house all weekend trying to find the other two keywords."
Isabelle's mind wandered to the day before, she sat on the floor beside Lydia as they watched a record spin on the record player, no sound coming from it besides static. Lydia's lips trembled slightly as she lifted the needle from the record. The younger girl looked at Kira and Malia who sat behind her before the two stood up land walked closer. Isabelle grabbed Lydia's hand as Kira lifted the needle from the record and pushed it aside.

"You didn't know about Demarco or Carrie. Hmm?" Sheriff asked, looking at the trio in front of him. "And what about these other two names on the list? Uh, Kayleen Bettcher and Elias Town. They werewolves too?" The sheriff questioned, locking eyes with Scott.
"I don't know. But Deaton said that the Nemeton would draw supernatural creatures here." Scott replied.
"Here being Beacon Hills? Or Beacon County? The population of Beacon Hills is just under 30,000."
"And dropping...." Stiles added, getting a look from his father.
"He's not wrong." Isabelle commented, sticking up for Stiles.
"But if we're talking Beacon County, then you're looking at close to 500,000. Look, how many werewolves, banshees, kitsunes and whatever the hell else is out there are we talking about? And what if the next cipher key uncovers not twelve names but a hundred?" Stilinski asks.
"We don't think there would be that many. There's a limit" Stiles said.
"Because of the numbers. We think that once we decode the names, the numbers will add up to
A hundred and seventeen." Isabelle spoke up.
"A hundred and seventeen what?"
"Million" Scott answered. Isabelle grabbed the paper and a pen from the desk.