Chapter 3

Harry's POV

"Good morning Louis." I opened the door and poked my head in.

He gave me a weak smile and a quiet hello.

"There's someone I want you to meet." I continued.

I looked behind me at the little girl and ushered her into the room and led her to the side of the hospital bed.

"Louis, this is Ally. Ally, this is Louis."

I glanced at Louis and helped him sit up when I saw he was struggling. His skin was unusually pale, but that was normal in patients with heart problems.

His cheeks flushed when I leaned over him and I suppressed a smirk. It was no secret to me that I was good looking. Not that I was vain, but lots of patients -and doctors- were intimidated by me.

Once he was comfortable I stepped back. I picked Ally up, setting her at the end of Louis' s bed.

"Ally just finished her third round of chemotherapy." I grinned proudly.

She toyed with her blonde hair, nodding shyly. She still had hair but it had started falling out, so she covered her head with a purple beanie that was too big for her. It belonged to her older sister.

"How old are you?" Louis asked.

"Seven."

"Wow, really? That's old!" Louis scrunched his nose adorably.

"No it's not silly! You're old!"

"Actually Dr. Styles is. He's an old man." Louis glanced at me and I smiled genuinely.

I knew he would get along with Ally!

"I'm only a few years older than you." I laughed. "Ally, tell Louis what you got for your birthday."

"My sister got me a puppy! She's a Yorkie." Her eyes lit up as she told Louis all about her puppy named Molly.

I pulled a chair closer and sat down taking my coat off to reveal my navy blue scrubs.

"But the hospital doesn't allow animals, so Harry offered to keep her for me and he even convinced the board to let him bring her here twice a week. She's coming tomorrow!" She smiled so big you could see she was missing two teeth.

Louis looked surprised as he directed his gaze at me.

"Really? That's very generous of you."

I nodded, and luckily Ally started talking again, getting the attention off of me. We were able to talk and laugh for half an hour before a pediatric nurse came to get Ally. I waved goodbye after she hugged us both.

Louis sighed sadly. "I'm guessing she has cancer."

"Leukemia. The worst of it's kind. We were able to catch it early, but it's still difficult to treat." I paused, waiting to see if he had any questions. "I brought her here because you remind me of her. When she came here it was with her older sister. Their parents were killed in a car crash when she was six. Her sister was eighteen so she took care of them."

"Where is she now?" Louis played with with a loose thread on the sheets, not looking me in the eye.

"She lives in Ireland. She got a good job offer and had to go so she could pay for Ally's treatments. She can only visit once every three months, so I keep her company too."

"I thought doctors were supposed to be cold and heartless." Louis scrunched his eyebrows.

"Some of them are." I shrugged.

Just then my pager buzzed at my hip and I stood up, moving the chair back.

"I have to go." I frowned.

As I turned to leave Louis reached out for my arm, grabbing my wrist. I spun around, inhaling sharply at the burning feeling of his skin on mine.

"Before you go, is it possible that I could have some more pain medicine. It really hurts."

I picked up his chart and flipped through for a moment before setting it back down.

"Unfortunately with the antibiotics you are on we can only give you a small amount of morphine, but I can give you something that will make you sleep."

"Y-yeah. That's fine."

"What hurts?" I wrote in the dosage for the medicine I planned to give him in his chart then walked over to the medicine cabinet and typed in my code.

I inserted the the medicine into his IV and watched him carefully for any signs of discomfort.

"Thanks." He mumbled sleepily.

"Just call me if you need anything before I come back. All you have to do is push #601 on this phone. It might be a while. I have a long surgery in about an hour." I showed him how to do it. "And push the blue button if it's an emergency."

"Mmkay." He slurred.

I laughed quietly and patted him on the shoulder.

"Alright, get some sleep mate."

Once again he grabbed my wrist before I could leave, but this time he yanked my arm and I almost fell on top of him. My face was inches from his and I swallowed thickly.

"You..have such a pretty face." He giggled.

I slowly straightened up and placed my hand over his, prying his fingers from my wrist.

"Goodbye, Louis." I chuckled, shutting the door behind me.

**

My surgery went over like I had expected and I was exhausted by the time I grabbed my charts and stepped into Louis's room.

"Hey, how're you feeling?" I forced a tired smile.

"A bit better actually. You look like shit though."

"Yeah, that surgery I told you about went longer than it was supposed to."

"You told me about a surgery?" He frowned. "I don't remember that. But I do remember the thing about the phone. That's the only thing though."

"Yeah, the sleep medicine kicked in after that I suppose." I chuckled when I remembered what he had said to me in his dazed state.

"What's so funny?" He crossed his arms over his chest with an adorable pout.

"Well, you pulled me down, almost on top of you, then you told me, "You...have such a pretty face." I imitated him.

His face turned a deep shade of red and he shrunk back on the small hospital bed.

He grumbled an apology and I just laughed and shook my head. " It's fine. I thought it was cute." I shrugged.

"Shut up!" He whined. "You drugged me."

My face felt like it would split in half from the smile on my face. It was weird how Louis could affect me like that.

I sat on the side of his bed, smiling down at him. His eyes crinkled when he smiled and I found myself leaning closer subconsciously.

Our faces were just inches apart when a knock at the door startled us both. I jumped back in surprise as Nurse Ella entered with a clipboard on her hip. I scratched the back of my head nervously as I backed up.

Nurse Ella didn't seem to notice the tension in the air as she greeted us politely then proceeded to check Louis' s vitals.

"I'll be in my office." I mumbled before leaving hastily.

What was I thinking? I can't kiss him! He's a patient and I'm his doctor!

I buried my face in my hands frustratingly. I decided to sleep it off as I climbed into one of the beds in the on call room. I would go home the next morning for a day then I was back at work.

At least I would have time to decide what to do about my situation.