Chapter Twenty-Five

"Sit still, kid," Wade said, balancing the girl on his shoulders; his boots sinking deep into the snow. They decided to park their vehicle a few blocks away from the rescuers' base camp and walk the rest of the way. That way they could make themselves scarce as soon as the girl found her mom and hopefully avoid the press.

He wanted to minimize Nerina's exposure, especially now that the girl knew who she was. Initially he wanted to get her to stay at the cabin while he brought the girl in himself, but little miss teeny butt refused to go without her. That didn't impress him much, because this whole lake iceberg thing was sure to alert all their enemies.

As soon as they returned to the cabin, they would pack their stuff and head somewhere else. He had no idea where, but they'd figure it out. There's no doubt that kid was sure to blab it to everyone she talked to.

The only problem was that if they left, and Kyle somehow managed to make it to their location, he'd have no clue where they were or how to reach them. He was still hoping they were fine, but no guardian alive would have stayed silent for this long.

They were loyal to a fault and that is what had him worried. Where were they? What if it was just the two of them now? Did he have what it takes to protect her? Heck, after what she did today, she probably didn't even need protecting anymore.

He looked over at her as she walked alongside him. Her hands were stuffed into the pockets of her black parka, and her face was hidden behind the furry lining of her hood. He couldn't tell what was going through her head.

"We're just about there," he said, pointing up ahead. Base camp had been set up inside the conference room of a hotel next to the lake. In the parking lot, a bright orange tent had been set up with a portable heater. Food and drinks were being served, ensuring that everyone had the energy to keep going.

When it came to a small town, everyone played their part to help out. No one wanted their town to be known for losing a little girl. The search and rescue boat had been scouring the lake for hours to no avail. That's all that had been on the news since it happened.

The girl on his shoulders squirmed again and yelled, "I see my mommy."

Even amidst all the noise from the crew, a woman dressed in a gray fur coat turned towards them. Her hands flew up to her mouth and in an awkward run in high heeled boots, she ambled her way through the snow in their direction.

"Nerina, go back and wait in the car." He didn't want anyone by any chance to recognize her like the kid did.

"But—"

"Just for once in your life will you please listen to me and get out of here!"

She let out a huff before turning on her heels and marching back in the direction they'd just came from. He hated being curt with her, but she was too bloody stubborn for her own good. The last thing she needed was to have her face plastered all over the television again.

He placed the kid on the ground, put his sunglasses on and pulled the hood low over his face. Guiding Chrissy, they made their way towards her mother as she met them half way. She picked up her daughter and spun her around in circles before losing her balance and tumbling into the snow.

He'd hoped to walk away without saying anything, but the news crews were already right on top of the story.

"Who are you?"

"Where did you find her?"

"I'm sorry, no comment." He lifted his scarf to cover even more of his face. When he went to walk away, something grabbed onto his leg. Looking down, he saw the girl had taken up residence there, wrapping her tiny legs around his calf.