Chapter Thirty-Nine

As her cry pierced the air, thunder shook the building. Everyone's attention returned to her and no one moved a single muscle. Her hair, which had been dyed red, had changed to a pure shade of white and her eyes sparkled like diamonds.

In a flash, bolts of lightning disintegrated the ropes around her limbs, leaving gaping holes in the skylight. Fog rolled in, spinning around her like a tornado.

"Have you forgotten who I am?" Nerina said, approaching Russ.

"Shoot her," he yelled.

Before they even had a chance, a funnel of wind pulled them all through the roof, leaving her alone with Wade's men and Russ.

"I'm not just the princess of Atlantis. The ocean is mine and everything in it; everything that holds water." Holding her hand out, she could sense the water in his body. She lifted him off the ground without laying a hand on him. She walked towards him, her hair flying behind her.

Joe and his men slammed open the doors to the room and skidded to a halt when they saw her. She turned to face them, still keeping Russ suspended in the air.

"Wow, it's okay. We're with him?" Joe pointed to Wade.

Nodding her head, she returned her attention back to Russ. With just a swift flick of her hand, she could send him into oblivion. When Wade almost died, it appeared to unlock one of the final pieces of the puzzle inside her, allowing her to reach beyond the realms of humanity, and become one with the world around her.

"You killed my friend," she said, twisting her hand slightly, slowly closing it into a fist.

Steam surrounded him as his skin began to wrinkle, turning him into a human prune. "Please stop," he begged.

"This is my island now. My world. And I won't let you hurt another soul ever again." With a quick flick of her wrist, he burst into a million droplets of water, which disappeared even before they had a chance to hit the ground.

After all was said and done, she stood there, staring at her hands; her entire body shaking with adrenaline. Wade approached her cautiously. When he reached her side, she collapsed, breaking into tears.

"I j-just...I j-just k-killed someone," she stammered, her teeth chattering away. "I j-just killed someone."

The words played over and over again in her mind like a broken record. She was a murderer, a cold hearted murderer. Oh god. How could she have...oh god. Covering her face with her hands, she rocked back and forth on the floor.

"I'm a m-murderer."

Wade wrapped his arms around her, hugging her close. "You did what you had to do, babe."

"Don't you get it?" she said, shoving him away. "I just killed someone. I could kill you. Get away from me."

Kneeling in front of her, he placed his hands on her knees. "Sweetie, I know how you feel. Remember what I told you about Maya."

"That was an accident. I killed him. I wanted to kill him." She buried her face in her knees, as she continued to rock. "Oh god. I'm a horrible person."

"I've done the same. You are not a horrible person. You did what you had to do to survive."

"But-"

"No buts." He stood up, holding his hand out to her. "I think it's time to see all the lives you saved today."

She looked up at him, wiping the tears away from her eyes. "You mean..."

A noise overhead caught her attention; an FBI helicopter was hanging in the air above the wrecked skylight.