Chapter Thirty-One

Nerina's mind was spinning as she did the pregnant waddle down the driveway, as fast as her body would let her move. Did she really just create a water dragon? How on earth did she know how to do that? Things were just getting way too bizarre.

Things were changing faster than she could keep up. And Wade, she didn't even know who he was anymore. She should have listened to her parents when they told her he was bad news.

Looking up, she spotted her friend, standing beside a man she didn't recognize. She slid to a stop, almost landing on her butt. Another stranger. After a split second once over of the guy, she decided he looked less dangerous than the men behind her.

"Get in the car, hurry!" Nerina shouted, rushing over to the car, cradling her belly.

"Why, what's wrong?" Jenny followed suit, motioning for the man to get behind the wheel.

"Men. Guns. Need I say more," she said, breathing heavily.

"Where's Wade?" her friend asked, as they piled into the car.

"Drive, whoever you are!" Nerina ordered.

They'd barely pulled away from the house when the back window exploded. The women ducked, screaming.

"Holy Fuck," Jason slid his body down in the seat, accidentally pulling the wheel too far to the right. The car swerved from side to side as he tried to re-gain control on the slippery roadway.

"Can't you do a better job of driving," Jenny snapped.

"I'd be happy to pull over and you can drive instead," he said, putting his foot on the brake, making the car slide some more.

Her friend looked out the back window and slapped Jason's shoulder. "Take your foot off the god damn brake and drive."

"Make up your mind, woman!" he growled.

"Boy, you guys sound like an old married couple." Nerina forced out a chuckle, her entire body shaking with adrenaline. Her stomach decided to get in on the action by contracting painfully. She winced as she stared out the back window.

They were being followed, but the car was quite a ways behind them, thankfully. Was Wade with them? Did they kill him? A pang of guilt washed over her. No. She had nothing to feel guilty about. He'd set her up. He was one of them.

She fell in love with a figment of her imagination. As soon as she was back in California, she never wanted to see his lying ass again. Shooting pains spread out from her chest and down her arm. She breathed in through her nose and out through her mouth, waiting for the pain to dissipate.

"What the hell was that all about?" Jenny asked.

"Wade lied to me." Nerina didn't want to go into any more detail, not with a stranger in the car.

"I told you so. Good riddance," she said, clicking her tongue. "I can smell a liar from a mile away."

Jason coughed, smacking his hand against his chest, causing the two of them to glance over at him.

"Sorry, something went down the wrong way," he mumbled.

Nerina narrowed her eyes at him. Another man with secrets, of that she was certain. As soon as she had a moment, she was going to voice her concerns to Jenny. They didn't need any more frauds in their lives.

"Looks like we lost them," Jenny announced.

Jason glanced in the rear view mirror, locking eyes with Nerina. "Do you want to tell me what the hell just happened?"