Additional Scene 9

Sorry it has taken me so long to update!  Here is a sort of long chapter to make up for it.  I'll try to update more frequently.  Don't forget to leave comments!!

************************

Sean

Puck only stays for a short while after our argument. She sits with me for about half an hour before she gets up, kisses me on the head and leaves. I sit at the kitchen table for hours after she leaves. At some point, my gurgling stomach forces me to get up. I sleep restlessly that night.

After taking care of the horses the next morning, I start my journey to the Malvern yard. I know what I need to do. Although I know Puck is at work, I stop by the Connolly house hoping to borrow a bike. Puck nearly always rides Dove to work, so I figure she wouldn't mind me borrowing her bike for the remainder of my trek. The Connolly house is much closer to the Yard, so it's almost a pointless stop, but I am looking for an excuse to stall.

As I walk into the yard Finn is picking up the pieces of -something- that he had clearly previously disassembled. I see a bicycle leaning against the fence and it looks like the one I had seen Puck riding before. I figure I should ask Finn before taking it though. I walk over to where Finn is carefully examining each piece he picks up before he places it in the bin he holds in his lap. Finn must see me walking over, because he leans slightly toward me and works a little bit slower, as if to better show me what he is doing. Since he seems to want me to know I make a point of asking him about it. "What is that you're doing there?"

He continues for a moment before stopping to look up at me. He has blue eyes and freckles just like Puck, and for some reason this surprises me. I wasn't expecting to see Puck in Finn's face when I walked over here. "It will rust in the snow," is the answer I get. It doesn't tell me what it is that he is picking up in pieces, but he seems satisfied with the answer he gave me, so I nod in acknowledgement. Finn's attention almost immediately returns to his mystery object. I take it as my cue to leave. "Puck's not here," he states as I start to turn away. I walk over to the bike and pull it away from the fence.

"Can I borrow this?" I ask. Finn just shrugs and bobs his head. I take this for permission and take a step away from the fence. I pause until Finn looks up again and nod my head goodbye. I can't stall any longer. I continue my journey to the Malvern Yard.

The Malvern Yard is bustling when I arrive. There are some new workers, who return to their work after a quick glance my way. The ones who have worked here longer do a double take when they recognize me. It is obvious that no one expected to see me around here again. I am a little surprised to see relief as well as shock in their eyes, as if they believe I can ease their worries.

Puck told me that the Malvern Yard wasn't in peak form since I left, but not to what extent.  At first glance, the place seems normal; or at least it would for those who don't know it as I do. I can see the small details that give it away. There are small heaps of dung all over the place, instead of shovelled into a designated far corner of the yard. Some of the horses seem exceedingly restless, as if they haven't been taken out for exercise in a while. It seems to me that whoever should be delegating tasks isn't doing it very well, if at all. My pride stirs briefly, after seeing the disarray here. I know better than to let my pride get the better of me though, so I push the feeling away. I walk up to the main stable and lean the bike against the wall.

I ask the nearest worker where Puck is and he points inside the building. There are two other people in the stable; one is mucking one of the racehorse's stalls and the other grabbing feed for them. Then I see that the door to one of the stalls formerly belonging to the Capaill Uisce is wide open. It gives me an eerie feeling, looking at those empty stalls. They haven't all been empty at the same time in a very long time. I lean against the open doorway and watch Puck for a moment. She hasn't noticed me yet, with her back turned this way. She has a look of focus and determination on her face and mutters to herself occasionally. I pull away from the door and she must hear me because she turns my way. She looks at me with curiosity and satisfaction.     

"I borrowed your bicycle," I tell her. It takes a moment for my words to set in before amusement crosses her face.

"It's Finn's," she replies. I am glad I asked Finn permission to borrow it.

"What do I want Puck?"

"What do you need?" She asks in return. I don't respond. I don't know how to. Instead, I sigh, because I know what I need to do. Puck grabs my upper arm as I go to turn away, and gives me a quick kiss. "Good luck," she says. "And try the tea. It tastes like scones and human tears." Puck adds that last bit with a mischievous smile. I can feel a grin on my face as well. I might just have to try Malvern's disgusting brew this time.

Malvern's massive mansion stands in front of me, built for intimidation and condescension. I am stalling again. I am going to have to go in eventually. Finally, I force myself to use the fearsome, ornate knocker on the door. After a minute or so Benjamin Malvern answer the door. We silently appraise each other for a moment before he takes a step back and opens the door wider for me to enter. We still don't speak a word.

He leads me to a room I think would be called the sitting room before he breaks the silence. "Mr. Kendrick. I must admit that I'm surprised to see you here so soon. I seem to have underestimated Miss Connolly yet again." I still don't speak. I don't need to. We both know exactly why I'm here and how much I don't want to be.

"Tea?" Malvern asks me.

"I'll have what you're having," I respond with a straight face. He gives me a quizzical look, but proceeds to his disgusting concoction for us both. When he is done, he hands me my cup and watches while I take the first sip, almost daring me not to. Puck was right, I think, scones and human tears. It's repulsive.

Realizing that I don't intend to say anything more, Malvern starts speaking. "I would like you to start as soon as possible. I assume your previous salary will suffice." He raises an eyebrow at me to see if I'll argue. I don't, so he goes on. "And you will continue to ride in the races for me," Malvern adds bravely. On this point, I will not concede.

"No," I say unambiguously. "I will catch new Capaill for you, but I am done riding in the races." I can see he wants to know if I mean that I am done riding for him, or done riding completely. I leave no room for argument. Malvern must sense this because he does not press the subject.

"Alright. I wonder if that spitfire of a girl you have there would do. Although I doubt the results would be the same." Now it is my turn to wonder at his meaning. Although I don't doubt that the results would be different as well, either because of a difference in rider or of horse. Puck couldn't ride Dove again, because people would know what to expect and likely target poor Dove, which Puck would not consent to. The only other option would be for her to ride a Capall Uisce, which she also would not consent to. Benjamin Malvern understands the truth of this as much as I do. I can tell that this troubles him, having no one to ride in the races for him. I think that Puck would secretly revel in his misery, but she isn't here, so I do it for her.

Benjamin Malvern is off in his own world and our conversation is clearly finished, so I down the rest of my tepid potion and stand to leave. "See you on Monday," Malvern says as I walk away.

"Monday," I say in agreement. I don't look back.