Additional Scene 5

Sean

The house is immaculate when we enter it. Although I think that Finn might have used his body to clean it, as he is covered in dust and dirt. It is quite a funny sight.

Finn notices me looking him over and straightens up, locking his eyes with mine. I don't want to give the wrong impression, so I hold his gaze for a moment before nodding and turning to Puck who is glaring pointedly at her brother.

Puck's brother turns to look at her with a smug look on his face before walking out the door. She looks a little confused by her brother's actions but snaps out of it quickly. I think she is trying to remember why we are here before she holds up a finger signaling to give her a moment, and walks upstairs. She returns with a coat in her hands. She stands in front of me for a minute before taking my jacket off and replacing it with her own. Her hesitation and the frown on her face as she does so creates a tight feeling in my chest.

We go to Dove's lean-to next, passing Finn in the yard, who is fiddling with the parts of some unidentifiable object that might have once been a lawn mower. He did remember to feed her, but didn't brush her or muck out her stall. Puck brings Dove out into the yard and then grabs the pitchfork to start with the mucking. I grab a curry comb from a shelf inside and begin to brush Dove's light hide.

I can feel the difference between brushing Dove and brushing Corr, or any of the Capaill uisce, so easily. With the water horses one must always be alert, prepared; but with Dove, none of that is necessary. I find the feeling unusual. There is also the physical feeling of the horses. Dove is so small in comparison, which I always knew, but since the races I hadn't really thought of. Dove and Puck were so big in every other way that their size didn't matter. And then there's the smell. Corr smells of salt water, blood and rotting flesh, whereas Dove smells of hay and oats.

I find that the difference doesn't matter much though. It feels good to have a brush in my hand and a horse beneath it, no matter the smell. Dove is not Corr, yet she has become rather important to me because of her owner. As if she knows that I am thinking about her, she turns her head and looks me in the eye. I have respect for her, her spirit and her loyalty, and she knows it. I think that she is coming to respect me too, which I realize is more important than I ever could have predicted.

Once we are both finished, Puck shouts to her brother that she'll be in town. The only reaction this elicits is a frown and a brief nod.