// v

Larrikin-

China was not happy. She was not happy at all. As she trudged down the halls of the Sanctuary, cleavers perched either side of her, a scowl was prominent on her face. What gave Serpine, the sneaky bastard, the right to order her around? What's more, he wanted her to find the most deadly sorcerer of the century in a matter of days. She scoffed to herself as she turned a corner and strode into the Sanctuary's conference room.

"Get me a phone," she ordered Tipstaff as she took a seat on the Grand Mage's throne. Tipstaff scrambled out of the room quickly, coming back and handing China a mobile phone. She dialled Pleasant's number.

"Grand Mage," Skulduggery answered sarcastically. "What a pleasant surprise."

"Where is she?" China asked, cutting to the chase.

"You mean Darquesse? The powerful sorcerer that's holding my partner captive and plans on destroying the world?"

"Yes, yes. Her. Have you seen her?"

"Hell bent on killing everyone on this planet..." he continued.

China sighed exasperatedly. "Pleasant, work with me here, I haven't the time for your games."

"The very same sorcerer who seems to believe that Nefarian Serpine is back from the dead."

China paused. "You know he's back then?"

"You knew?" he asked, his voice dead serious. "You knew he was back and you didn't think it was any of my business to know?" his voice was low and threatening, making the hair on the back of her neck stand on end.

"I only saw him this morning," she said defensively.

"You've seen him? Did you even think for one second that maybe killing him was a good idea?"

"While I was being choked and threatened? No, the thought never came to me," she retaliated sarcastically.

"What does he want?"

"He wants the girl. Which is why I rang you. Now where is she?"

"I don't know..." He whispered.

"Well you better help me find out her whereabouts. Unless you want me to die the same painful way as your family."

The line ended, Skulduggery obviously hung up. She didn't blame him, that last bit was unnecessary. But she didn't want to die and she'd be damned if she didn't do everything she could to prevent dying at the red hand of Serpine. Even if that meant pissing Skulduggery off.

💀💀💀

"We're not retreating, we're advancing in reverse."
- Derek Landy; PWF