x //

marfach

The room was wearing a cloak of mystery. The fabric was sewn from threads of pure terror, its thick, impenetrable cloth shrouding the place in darkness. Along the walls, lay glass cases. Somehow, they seemed to deflect a light that wasn't even there, the only brightness in the place a flickering flame held in the hand of the skeleton detective.

Their breathing seemed too loud in the quiet space, the sound of their respiration almost echoing off the high ceiling.

No one is the same person after seeing Mevolent's collection. One does not simply stride away, the sprightly spring to their step as it was before.

No, there is something wicked about the castle. The walls ooze terror and the floors weep with pain.

Kallista Pendragon noted all this with a sinking feeling in her gut, one of dread and a heavy sense of foreboding. The rest of their group looked pale and nauseous, their faces most likely a mirror image of her own. Skulduggery Pleasant was possibly the least effected by the rage of the place, for it did not so much as rival his own.

With a click of his fingers, the flame went out, and he said, his voice low and deadly calm, "Let's search."

With a nervous swallow, Kallista nodded, already sticking tight beside Dexter Vex, who was to be her partner in the search. Pleasant, for whatever reason Kal refused to dwell on, was to be the only one not in a pair for the entirety of their time in the horror-filled dimension.

Using the air as best she could, Pendragon remained mere steps behind Dexter as he moved to the edges of the room, knowing they'd find nothing. The God-killer sword was Mevolent's weapon. He would have it with him, she had no doubts.

They searched through the terror, anyway. It would not be named fruitless until it was proven to be so.

----

They regrouped with the monster hunters not long later, meeting in the centre of the room. Skulduggery, they figured, had gone ahead and continued his search elsewhere. They weren't surprised that he hadn't informed them. He hadn't been very open beforehand, and with Cain gone, the skeleton was more private than ever before. Kallista sometimes wondered what great secrets he could be hiding in that empty skull of his.

They spoke in hushed whispers, as if afraid that the castle itself would hear them.

"Not here," Bane said, shaking his head. He had found Mr Bliss's cold, dead body, but no sign of the God-killer weapon.

"Neither-" began Dexter, but a shift in the air cut him off. From somewhere, came a creeping sound. Kallista's blood ran cold as the group turned slowly, to face away from Mevolent's throne.

The God-killer sword glinted in the tall man's hands, an army of Redhoods standing proud around him. Though he wore his battlesuit, grey chain  mail clanking and cloak swaying, he seemed to have forsaken the helmet that must have accompanied it.

When Mevolent smiled, the devil seemed to grin alongside him. 

💀💀💀

"Oh, those don't make me special, they just make me fun."
- Derek Landy; PWF.