Breakdown

I suddenly wake from my slumber, jolting from my own imagination. Taking a deep breath, I know it's gone, whatever it was. Swinging my legs, so they touch the oak floor, I put on the fur coat offered to me my first day here and head outside. The faded stars still dance to the night's orchestra. Before I know it, the grass inclines, only to uncover the vast ocean. I sit on the plank of wood, letting the dawn breeze push me back and forth. Looking out to the horizon, the sun's rays spread as the first moment of the morning is revealed. A mismatch of beautifully crafted red, pinks and orange paint the newly born sky. This is the first time I've ever watched a sunrise... it's beautiful.

I hear a rustle and look up the tree, and a small smile is pinched from my lips... He looks so peaceful as his short blond hair sparks with the morning's breeze. I wonder how long he's been here. He then looks down at me, his slight smile mirroring my own; then, before I know it, we've locked eyes for at least 10 seconds.

I abruptly break the stare and look back out to the sea, "Are you feeling better today?"

"Never better."

"Then shall we do an assignment?"

"Yeah, I saw one yesterday about a gang of thieves, Mythical Mages apparently."

"Sounds fun."

"What are you gonna turn into today, an Ice or Light Mage."

"You'll just have to wait and see."

---

Shards impale the feral guard as he falls to the ground below.

"Blue hair again, but a dress instead of a bikini. I'm gonna miss that get up."

"You pervert." I say, somewhat embarrassed, noticing his opponent fainted on the ground as well; burnt evidence of electricity char its scaled armour, "Behind you!!!"

Patrick swiftly turns, kicking his electric boots dead in the middle of the Feral Mage's neck. "I think that's the last guard. Perhaps now we can finally battle the boss of this organisation."

We walk into the lair, and on a thrown sits a man. His scaled armour tinted a dark blue. The shark-like spikes run down his arms that hold sythes. "The prophecy will finally come true, my master really does know all, and this world will stand still as the flames of darkness enclose the sky."

Patrick and I simultaneously hold our breath, I'd never forgotten about that vision, but I never thought that it was this close. I thrust out my arm revealing my ice sword. Dug said Electricity won't affect Gabrio.

Patrick rushes up to the Mage, his fist erupts in electricity as he smashes the heart of the bosses chest, but he doesn't flinch. I watch as the armour repels Patrick's attack forcing him to be thrown across the ground. It's my turn.

I rush with my blade to the enemy mage that smirks as if happy I'm his weakness. Unfortunately, my blade collides with his scythe, and we go into an all-out brawl.

Icicles fly as the sythes blade forces chunks of my swords-edge to regenerate, but likewise, scales fall from his weakening weapon

Icicles fly as the sythes blade forces chunks of my swords-edge to regenerate, but likewise, scales fall from his weakening weapon. One second we battle in one area, then the next, we are in another. I refuse to let up, although every bone in my body aches. His crazed smile lusting for blood.

Then it happens... my blade is slashed from my hand; I'm defenceless. I fall to my knees in defeat. He holds both sythes crossed to my throat, one swift movement, and I'd be decapitated. "What a waste, such a beautiful Mage ice is, too bad your death is predetermined. Otherwise, I'd make you my play toy."

My stomach clenches; this is it. He begins to load his blades; at least it will be quick. His scream signals what I thought would be my demise. I watch as the shark-like body falls on top of me, his arms falling to my back and the sound of fallen metal echoes throughout the ground. I quickly get to my feet and recognise a shard of my blade through the back of his head. I didn't do that.

I look up and see Patrick, hunched over, his dominant tricep held by his left hand as if broken or in pain. "Who would have thought throwing a shard of ice was like throwing daggers of lightning."

---

Back at the guild, we hand back the stolen Life Orb and gain money and potions, as always with a bonus rank up as we completed yet another task considered hard for our level.

"Tomorrow, we are having a party as it's the 50th year this guild has been up and running," Dug announces proudly to us as we sign Top Trumps to the finished task.

"Awesome, what do we wear?" Patrick cheerfully asks.

"Well, something nice, like a suit for you Rick, and perhaps a dress for you Eev."

"We'll be there," I say, glad that we'll have a day off.

"Together?" Dug says slowly, Winking at Patrick

"Excuse me?" I say, somewhat defensive.

"Well, it may or may not be a dance, so we advise you to bring a date," Dug says with a huge suggestive grin on his face.

"In that case, we better go soul searching." and with that, Patrick strides out, dragging my wrist in his hand.

---

With a cupcake in my hand, I take a small bite, watching as the waves hit the cliff's edge. Patrick sits on the swing just behind me. I place my cupcake down and rest my chin between my bent legs, my arms cradling them closer, then... before I know it... my vision is blurred. The breeze chilling the lines that silently slither down my cheeks. I can't hold it back any longer. And like a little kid, my stomach jerks as my emotions openly reveal themselves.

"Eevee?..."

I hug myself closer, cutting off any source of light.

Patrick's arms embrace me close, "Shhhhh..." and like a father holding his daughter, he puts me sideways on his lap, his head on top of mine. But it doesn't work, and I cry in pain, as loud as I feel necessary, griping as hard as I can onto his shirt. Patrick stays silent, letting his actions speak for themself. Listening to his heart stay strong and slow, I start to calm. My crying turns to short breaths, "Breath in... then breathe out Eevee..." listening to Patrick's calm voice, I try to copy his instructions. Breathing in... then breathing out, every now and then resorting back to the pained short breaths. Then again, I try and copy his loud breaths in and out. If he stops, I don't think I'll be able to breathe on my own.

The last tear falls, and finally, I take my last big breath and rest my head on Patrick's chest, staring at my hands intertwined with his shirt just in front of me. "I'm sorry..." I say with my breath out, "I'm just an emotional wreck."

"Shhhhh..." Patrick hushes me as if sensing the next round of tears about to flow. Silence again, the breeze only daring to make noise.

"Thank you..." I say again when I calmly breathe out.

"It's okay to be sad. Home is important to everyone..."

"How did you?..."

"What else could it be?" Patrick interrupts, holding me a tad closer, "And I understand, you miss your family, your friends, your home..." I look into Patrick's eyes, so sincere, so perfect. He then looks down on me, "And I'd do anything to help you get back... I promise. Even if that means everything goes back to the way it was before you were here."

Even if that means I can't help you fulfil your dreams...