Chapter 4

I feel hands shaking me. I want to listen but I am so lost in my own thoughts. My eyes are open and yet I can't see anything. All I know is that people are probably getting pissed with me dozing off this way. It has been happening a lot lately. Visions of my past fill my mind, blinding me. Suddenly, somebody jerks me so hard that I fall off my chair. I finally snap back to the present. I sit on the floor and look up to see Natasha towering over me. Maria is standing next to her with a bottle of water in her hands. A splitting pain shoots up my brain. I clutch my head with one hand and wince, gritting my teeth.

Maria hands me the bottle of water and squats next to the chair, "What's with the dozing off nowadays? It happens quite a lot".

I don't reply. I take the bottle from her and sip the water slowly, steadying my breath. Fury stands a few feet away from us, hands crossed over his chest. He tries to look angry but I can see the concern in his eye. The way he stands almost reminds me of my father. I find myself slipping back into the past again, so I shake my head hard and grip the bottle tighter. The pain starts to wear off.

"Are you okay, ma'am?" Steve asks as he walks towards me.

I pause for a second and then reply, "I'm alright. I just... I-I'm fine". He helps me up from the ground and sits me back onto the chair. I mutter a quick 'thanks' and let his hand go. Steve looks at me, his dreamy blue eyes swimming with concern. I feel a pang in my chest. I almost feel drawn towards him. Something warms inside my heart and I flash him a weak smile. He frowns first, and then returns the smile. His face looks like he just remembered something painful. But then he blinks and looks away.

"We got a hit. Sixty seven percent match. Weight, cross match, seventy nine percent", Agent Jasper Sitwell suddenly speaks up, looking at the computer.

"Location?", Phil asks.

"Stuttgart, Germany. 28, Konigstrasse", Sitwell replies. Then he pauses and adds "He's not really hiding".

Fury turns to Steve and I, "Captains, you're up".

"You're gonna make Ms.Danvers fight? She's clearly not in a state to do that right now. I think she should rest. Agent Romanoff and I can take care of it", Steve says.

I frown at Steve and then look back at Fury, "What? No, I'm fine. I can fight. I'm coming".

Fury glares at me for a few seconds and then makes his decision, "Rogers is right. You're not in the right state for a mission. You will please stay back and go to the medical wing. Fix yourself up before anything big comes".

I stand up and try to argue, "But sir-"

"Director's order, Agent", Fury cuts me off, planting his feet firmly on the ground, as if he is challenging me to a duel.

I suddenly feel anger bubbling in me. I feel angry at Steve for saying those things. I feel angry at Fury for not letting me in on the mission. But most of all I feel angry at myself for being so weak. What is happening to me? Why am I letting mere memories bring me down? I turn to Steve and glare at him, "Next time, you don't need to talk for me" I say, and storm out of the cortex.

---

I sit on a bed in the medical wing and hold my hands tight as the nurse gets ready with an injection. She casually wipes the spot where she will put the needle in with spirit and talks to me, "So, how long has this been happening, child?" She's an elderly woman, a little over 60 at my best guess. Strands of grey hair can be seen from the sides of her cap.

"I'm not exactly sure. It's been around a month. Definitely not more than that," I reply. As I talk, I don't even feel the needle pierce into my skin. I'm too busy thinking about why this has been happening to me. She asks me to press the spot with a cotton so that the blood doesn't gush out and goes to the other end of the room to get a band aid. I watch her as she opens a drawer to take a band aid out. She moves around the room like she knows every corner of it. I wonder if she has a family, I wonder what she is doing here instead of down on earth where she can have a proper life. What I don't realize is that I have been staring at her for too long. She moves my hand away from the spot and and presses the band aid down there and then looks at me.

"So, I have pumped glucose into your veins so that you stop passing out. And I suggest you drink water at all times. You also happen to have low pressure, so please eat healthy and take care of your body, dear". When I don't respond, she frowns. "Is there something on my face, dear, or are you blacking out again?"

"Do you have a family?", I abruptly ask. I have clearly caught her off guard for she looks at me with wide eyes. Then she turns away and puts everything in the right place, pausing before answering my question, "Yes, I do. A son, his wife and two daughters".

"Then why are you here in this hellicarrier? Wouldn't you rather be with your family?"

She sighs and then replies, "I am with my family". I look at her, confused. She's with her family? But they aren't here, what does she mean? "You're all my children too, and it is my duty to look after you".

"But your son, don't you miss him?"

"Of course I do, silly. But I get to see him every year and that's all I need. You kids remind me of him so much, that I feel at home here. I'm happy where I am. I have found a new family!", she answers, holding my cheeks in both of her hands. Her smile is so genuine that I feel tears in my eyes. I quickly blink them back and smile at her. "Now off you go, go save the world. Come on, toot toot!"

I jump off the bed and walk towards the door. I flash her one last smile and head out of the room. As I make my way to the headquarters, I realise that I am not angry with Steve or Fury anymore. After all, they are the only family I have and they want the best for me. The nurse has opened my eyes and made me look at the world in a different way. I feel grateful.

As I walk through the corridor, I feel the smile wear off my face when I see at least 20 guards walking towards me, guarding a man. The man is hand cuffed and has long, dark hair. He's tall and wears a green and golden armour. Then I realise that the prisoner is Loki. He doesn't look angry. In fact he looks just the opposite, amused. When he catches me watching him, he smirks, lighting his eyes up. I frown back at him and his smirk turns to a grin. Frankly, it scares me to see a lunatic psychopath grin at me. Then when he just walks past me, I clutch my head and fall to the ground. I can hear his laughter and I feel angry. When his laughter dies out, I stand back up and suddenly the pain in my head is gone.

I brisk walk into the headquarters, wanting to get away from Loki. My black outs have been happening because of him. But why? Why did my head hurt when he walked past me? As these questions race through my head, I don't see where I'm walking and bump into someone. I hold the person by the shoulders quickly without looking at his face and mutter a quick sorry. But the person doesn't move and stays where he is. Frustated, for he has been blocking my path, I look up at him. The grin on his face is so familiar.

"Tony? Oh my God! Sorry, I didn't see you there," I say, hugging him. Then I stand back and cross my arms over my chest, clearly annoyed. "What took you so bloody long? Why couldn't you come right away? You have no idea what has been happening here. Fury won't let me go on any missions because I have been blacking out, and guess what? That's not even my fault-"

"Woah woah woah there! Calm down, lady. The one and only is here now so you may speak of your problems as much as you want".

"You're a douche".

"And I love you too, CD" Tony replies, laughing heartily. He has always called me CD after my initials for he didn't like my name. Said it was boring. I never seemed to mind so he never seemed to stop.

We both laugh for sometime and then suddenly my laughter dies out. I hold Tony by the hand and pull him to the corner of the room. "This is serious, Tony. I need to talk to you".

---

*le me running from shields and knives and guns of fan girls*

I know, I know, I know, I'm sorry! It's been almost 2 weeks. But I really didn't have time. My uncle's wedding is coming up and we're all quite busy. And on top of that we had exams so my my mum confiscated my phone and unplugged my computer somehow.

But I promise I will try to update more frequently from now on. And once again I'm really sorry!

How are you liking the story so far? If you guys have any suggestions or questions you can express yourselves in the comments.

Please do vote and comment!!!

Keep calm and Marvel on :D

Ps. My chapters are not edited, so if you find any typos or grammatical errors, please feel free to point them out!