Chapter 6

Dedicated to @AvaAnatalyaOrlova

---

"I'm sorry about... You know, earlier," Steve mutters as I skim through the files.

I lift my head up without taking my eyes off the files, "Earlier? What happened?"

"Well, when I told Fury that you shouldn't go for the mission. You looked pretty angry."

I chuckle, "Oh, don't worry about that. Actually, I'm sorry for losing my calm like that. I've been having these mood swings lately," I frown, "which I am not particularly fond of."

Steve doesn't reply. His eyes are set on a weapon of some kind. I bee line his view and fly up to the weapon to bring it down. As the two of us examine it, I realise that it's bothering Steve. I look into his blue eyes, waiting patiently for an explanation, but all he whispers is "HYDRA", and that's enough for me to know that this is some serious business.

I drop the weapon into his hands and stand up, "Come on, we need to turn this thing in. Let's go." Steve shakes off his confused look and suddenly I can see anger and determination in his eyes. He stands up and follows me out of the room.

---

As Steve and I walk into Banner's lab, I hear Tony say, "What's Phase 2?"

He's standing next to Bruce, facing Fury. Behind them is the scepter. When I look at it, a pain shoots through my head, I stumble and hold the wall behind me for support. The pain starts clouding my vision, but I shake it off and stand properly, arms crossed over my chest.

"Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D uses the cube to make weapons," Steve says as he slams the weapon onto the table. He then turns to Tony and says, "Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow."

Tony looks at me questioningly and I nod my head slightly to assure him that Steve is right. His gaze on me lasts a little longer than I expect it to and I immediately know that he senses that something is bothering me. To get away from him, I look down at my feet, refusing to meet his eyes, and he turns back to Steve.

Fury tries to explain, "Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're-"

"I'm sorry, Nick," Tony cuts him off. He moves his computer screen towards Fury, showing him the plans of the weapons of mass destruction, "Why were you lying?"

"I was wrong, director. The world hasn't changed a bit," Steve says to Fury. As he does so, he glances at me and frowns by the look on my face. Now two people in this room are aware that something is bothering me. I sigh and lean into the wall, listening to their conversation but not participating.

Thor and Natasha walk into the room. Natasha keeps her eyes on Bruce and he looks back at her, clearly very angry, "Did you know about this?"

Natasha ignores his question, "You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?"

"I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed."

"Loki is manipulating you."

"And you've been doing what exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy. I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

Fury cuts into their conversation, growing impatient, "Because of him," he says, pointing at Thor.

Thor is caught off guard. He snaps his head to Fury, a stunned look on his face, "Me?"