Chapter 5

"Woah, what's with the mood swings? You were laughing just a second ago and now you're all serious. Do I not please you enough?", Tony asks me loudly from the corner of the room.

I put my hands on his mouth and whisper, "Could you be any louder? Listen, I'm serious about this so I don't want anymore jokes, okay?", as Tony slides his fingers through his lips as if to zip it shut, I continue "So you know, I've been blacking out lately, right? It's like, something reminds me of my past and then I'm gone, I don't know anything that's happening around me. My eyes are open but I can't see anything. It's like flash backs. And my head, Tony. It hurts so much. It's like someone is tearing my brains apart. And I have found out why this has been happening to me. When I was walking through the corridor, Loki walked by me and I felt the same pain in my head. When he left, it was gone. He's the reason behind this. But why, Tony? How is he doing it?"

Tony pauses, his expressiom taking a serious turn, "I.. I really don't know how to help you in this. I mean, this is a psychological thing, not scientific. And you know how I bad I am at the psychology department," I take my eyes away from him and turn around, holding my head. This whole situation has me stressed out. Tony pulls me towards him so that I can face him again, "but I can say on thing, CD. I know you're strong. Hell, you're the strongest person I know. All you need to do is not let him into your head. Be strong. I know you can do it."

Tony's words make me happy. His immense faith in me gives me hope. But Tony talking like this changes the mood and I hate it, "Ew, Tony. Don't talk like that. It doesn't suit you," I scrunch my face.

Tony rolls his eyes towards me and sighs. Then he gets his act together and stands tall, a smirk visible on his face, "Right, bitch mode on. All I'm saying is that if he does anything, kick his ass"

"Yeah right, kick a God's ass"

"Oh shut up, will you? When did you get so negative? There's no God. Especially not that guy. I personally think he's in need of some ass kicking".

I throw my head back and laugh softly, making sure no one hears us. Tony has always managed to make me happy even in the saddest of times. I have never been able to repay him, and sometimes I wonder why he sticks around. What does he see in me? But when I look at him, I know that he's happy to have me around, and that is the greatest privilege in the world.

From the corner of my eyes, I see Coulson making his way to us. He stops near us and tell us that the rest of the heroes are having quite a heated discussion in the other room and we wouldn't want to miss it. I nod my head and head towards the other room, Tony and Phil following. As Tony and Phil have their own conversation behind me, I try to listen to the conversation everyone else is having.

"Iridium. What did they need the iridium for?" I hear Bruce ask the team.

"It's a stabilizing agent," Tony says as he walks in with Phil and myself. He then turns to Phil, "I'll fly you there. Keep the love alive. Means the portal won't collapse on itself, like it did at S.H.I.E.L.D".
After he's done talking to Phil, he turns to Thor and continues, "no hard feelings, Point Break. You've got a man swing. Also, it means the portal can open as wide, and stay open as long, as Loki wants it", he turns to the crew, "uh, raise the mid-mast, ship the top sails. That man is playing GALAGA! Thought we didn't notice, but we did," covering his eye, he looks around, "How does Fury do this?"

I let out a breath. When Tony gets the floor, he talks forever. I thought he'd never stop. But surprisingly Maria answers him, "He turns."

"Well, that sounds exhausting. The rest of the raw materials, Agent Barton can get his hands on pretty easily. Only major component he still needs is a power source. A high energy density, something to kick start the cube," Tony says.

"When did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics?" Maria asks, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Last night. The packet, Selvig's notes, the Extraction Theory papers. Am I the only one who did the reading?"

"Does Loki need any particular kind of power source?" Steve finally speaks up, stepping forward.

"He's got to heat the cube to a hundredand twenty million Kelvin just to break through the Coulomb barrier," Bruce replies.

"Unless, Selvig has figured out how to stabilize the quantum tunneling effect," Tony tunes in with Banner.

"Well, if he could do that he could achieve Heavy Ion Fusion at any reactor on the planet."

"Finally, someone who speaks english."

Their science talk confuses me. I try to make sense of what they are saying but I give up, feeling a sudden change in my mood, "Wow! I'm out of here," I interrupt their conversation, throwing my hands up, "I'm confused enough, as it is, and all you're doing is making it worse," and by saying those words, I walk out of the room. Steve looks at me, worried, but I brush his gaze off.

---

I pace on the runway of the helicarrier, thinking. Racking my brain. I have second thoughts about walking to Loki and asking him why he is targeting me, but I brush that thought off. Right now, I have to think for myself. Or maybe, I just have to stop thinking. Give myself a break. It's just stressing me out. I try to figure ouy what I should do to relax, but no ideas come to me. And then suddenly, I stop pacing. Music. Of course, music. Music can help me calm my nerves. I head to my personal room in the helicarrier and take my headphones and ipod out of my bag, my only priced possession. I put them on play the first song in my playlist, Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. I can instantly feel the stress wear off my back and I relax. I walk through the entire helicarrier, not a care in the world, nodding my head to the music.

---

After what seems like hours, I see Steve slyly walking towards the Hull Hangar. I slowly put my headphones away and follow him, curious about what his plans are. He looks around to make sure no one is watching him and then tries to push the heavy metal door open. I creep up behind him and clear my throat, "Looking for something?"

My sudden appearance makes him jump back. His head snaps towards me, panic written all over his face. He quickly takes his hands away from the door and looks away, "Uh, no. I was just- I'm just exploring the battleship."

"Well, this is a restricted area, Cap."

"Oh, right. Sorry", he tries to walk away but I latch my hands onto his arms, not letting him go.

"What do you want?" I try again.

He looks at me for a few seconds, probably deciding whether to trust me or not. But after his internal battle, he gives up, "Fury is hiding something from us about the Tesseract. I'd like to know what that is."

I stare at him, speechless. He never pegged me as the guy who steals, but when he mentions the Tesseract, I give in. I've been trying to extract information about the Tesseract from Fury for years but he refuses to say a word about it. The curiosity has been killing me and at this moment I'd do anything to find out what it really is. I sigh and reply, "Well, let me help you with that"

The door Steve had been struggling to open, I open it easily and walk in. Steve doesn't follow, instead staring at me with shocked eyes. "Well?", I ask, growing impatient.

"Aren't you going to stop me?"

"Actually, no. In pretty sick of Fury keeping secrets from us. Now come on before we're spotted by others."

----

Heyo people? How ya doin'?

I'm trying to escalate the story so I'll be leaving out some parts in the middle, okay?

Anyway, please vote and comment. Maybe we can have a question-answer session? I love interacting with you guys!

Ok, so BYEEEE!!

Keep calm and Marvel on :D