Chapter 11

"Are you guys seeing this?" Clint asked. He was sitting on a couch and watching the news. "They're blaming us for destruction of property!"

"Can't say they're all wrong," I replied, handing him his cup of coffee and taking a seat beside him.

"Yes, but did they not see those aliens or something? How are we at fault here?" he argued.

"Clint, you have to look at the matter from both sides. When we fought those aliens, we destroyed quite a lot of property too. For example, the Hulk crashing through buildings, me throwing cars at the aliens, etc, etc. You know what I mean?"

"I know what you mean, Carol. But they said that we're held responsible because this was our fight, not theirs. Hell, I'd like to see where New York would be right now if we hadn't saved their ass."

"Is that what they said?" I asked, now actually watching the news carefully. It seemed like the Avengers were taking all the blame. "Wow, now that's not fair. It isn't fair at all."

"Yeah, we know," said Natasha as she walked up to us, standing in front of the TV so that we couldn't see. "Now, are you two coming or do you want to continue having your heated discussion?"

I groaned and Clint shouted for her to move so that we could watch the news, but Natasha wouldn't budge. She stood there like a pillar with her hands resting on her hips.

"Okay! We're coming, woman. Now move already!" said Clint. But Natasha still didn't move until Clint finally took the remote and shut the TV off.

"Where are we going though?" I asked as the three of us walked out of the room.

"Why, to see Thor and his dear brother off, of course! They're leaving today," replied Natasha.

"Today? I thought they would leave next week," I said.

"Honestly Carol, how long do you think you can bear to see Loki's face?"

"Well, you have a point there."

We reached the roof top to see Steve, Bruce and Tony already there. While Bruce and Tony had a heated conversation, Steve just stood in the middle of nowhere with his hands crossed across his chest, in deep thought. I proceeded to leave Natasha and Clint behind to go stand next to him.

"Steve, hi!" I said as I took my place next to him.

He snapped out of his thoughts and turned towards me and immediately a gorgeous smile brightened up his face, "Ma'am."

"I think we've spent enough time with each other for you to call me by my name," I laughed at his innocence.

"Right, old habit," he said, rubbing the back of his neck, "How are you feeling, Carol?" he glanced at my stomach.

"I'm perfectly healthy, thank you. Though I would really like to punch Loki in the face one last time before he leaves."

Steve threw his head back and laughed, and honestly, it was the cutest laugh I had ever heard. Maybe because I didn't see him laugh that often.

"Hey, um, I'd like to say sorry for losing myself in the field like that and crying like a baby. I didn't mean to inconvenience you," I said, not meeting his eyes.

"Oh, don't worry about that. I'm happy to help."

Before I could reply with a thanks, Thor and Loki had arrived. Thor held the Tesseract in one hand and his hammer in the other, whereas Loki's hands were handcuffed and he had a sort of mask on his face to prevent him from talking.

Thor came to meet all of us before leaving and bid us all goodbye. I managed to give him a small awkward hug which cracked the entire team up. Honestly, I would miss him even though we hadn't got the opportunity to talk that much.