Chapter Fifteen

• Dedicated to To You, My Lovely Reader!

Chapter Fifteen

When we emerged from the woods, I automatically veered left, heading back the way I came about an hour before. However Callum, whose hand still clutched mine dragged me to the right.

“Where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise.”

I stopped and raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

He shrugged and pulled me along. “I’m staging an intervention. You need to do something fun. In fact, I think we both need to do something fun. Take our minds off of other things.”

He sure was right about that.

“So, what are we going to do then?”

“You’ll find out when we get there.”

For a while we just walked in silence again. I tried to stop myself from thinking and just enjoy the peace nature provided. The rain was more of a gentle mist, bathing the visible parts of my face in a delicate dusting of water. The sky was still overcast and cloudy, but the fresh smell of rain opened up my senses and made our surroundings more appealing. I had no clue where we were headed, at the moment we were walking across a large field. Callum, thankfully, had assured me many times that he knew where he was going and that no, he wasn’t ‘taking me somewhere secluded to kill me and hide my body.’ At least one good thing came from today: I knew that Callum didn’t want to kill me. So far, that’s about the only communication we’ve had since my earlier outburst.

The ground beneath my feat started to get sloppier, and the mud more treacherous as the flat grass began lurching up into a steep hill. At least I was wearing flats. Good choice made when getting dressed this morning. Still, that didn’t mean that conquering the small mounting (that’s how I saw it) wasn’t an easy task. But the site it provided once we were standing at the top was rewarding.

The hill sloped downward at a more gradual angle that it did upwards on the other side. At the bottom were various flashing lights and loud music emitted from a large assortment of rides.

“A theme park?”

“Yeah.”

“That’s so cool!”

His enthusiasm didn’t seem to be to the extent of mine, but he still seemed happy enough with his idea. I wouldn’t tell him that I was so excited because I had never been to one before, I’m sure he wouldn’t believe me even if I did. The doctors thought it was a bad idea – which meant that Mum also thought it was a bad idea. So I was never allowed. But now, what they don’t know can’t hurt them. And I’m sure it’s safe enough now.

“I don’t have any money,” I said, slightly put out.

“Na, it’s cool, you can pay me back somehow, someday.”

“Really,” I asked, but didn’t give him time to answer for fear that he’d change his mind. “That’s awesome, thanks Callum!”

We descended the hill, and the music we heard earlier reached a near deafening level. We paid at the front and walked in, ignoring the people offering us maps, we just went for it.

All around me were people of all ages. A group of teens smoking and laughing, little children running around, flustered parents trying to keep up, couples in their twenties mooching around. It was a place for everyone. A place for fun, the only thing on our agenda’s for the rest of the daylight hours.

The multitude of rides surrounded us. There were short, fast ones, huge drop towers, log flumes and roller coasters with enough loops to make you feel sick. I thought it was brilliant. The exhilaration was amazing. The calmness of queuing, followed by the anticipation once you got to the front. The nervousness before it took off, and the thrill whilst riding. It was all so new to me. Fortunately for us, not a lot of people were here, the rain having warded them off. It shortened our queuing time by a hell of a lot.