Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

“Oh my gosh!” Tasha came flying down the hall, bumping right into me and trapping me in a smothering hug. “I’ve got the best news ever!”

I cringed back from her, her chirpy, high pitched voice was too loud and high, even more so when she was practically shouting in my ears.

I forced my mouth to twitch up into a small smile. “What’s up?”

“So, me and Tom.” She broke off, squealing and flipping her arms around. “We got together.”

“That’s great,” I said, trying to induce an ounce of enthusiasm into my tone. “When did that happen?”

“Last night.”

So that was why she hadn’t answered my calls. I guess she was pretty busy that evening…

“Cool.”

“Jeez, way to suck the fun out of, like, the happiest news of the month.”

I shrugged, “sorry.”

The air between us was slightly awkward now, and my way of dealing with it was to just go to class. Monday morning were bad enough, add to that the unfortunate events of last night, plus the fact that my best friend had just got with one of Callum’s. Things were starting to get complicated again, and I was in no mood to deal with difficult situations at the moment.

The hour passed, and the challenges presented in the lesson were a welcomed distraction to me. The difficult questions kept myself and the rest of the class quiet. It was exactly what I wanted at that point. However, my haven ended as soon as I stepped foot outside the room.

Tasha practically pounced on me. “What gives?” she demanded.

“Huh? Oh, nothing.”

She narrowed her chestnut brown eyes in warning. “Tell.”

That was all she said, stopping dead in front of me, placing a hand on her hip. She meant business.

“Tash,” I sighed. “I don’t really wanna talk about it right now. Please.”

She tilted her head to the side, raising an eyebrow. “Your choice.” She poked me in the shoulder. “We’re talking about it sometime though.”

I simply nodded my head. “I know.” There was no way I could get around it, I knew that she would force it out me of sooner or later. And she’d probably be pretty upset that I hadn’t told her earlier. But I really didn’t want to talk about the break up, it was bad enough me relaying the moment in my mind, let alone saying it out loud.

She wasn’t the only one who was demanding answers to my less than lively mood though. Several other friends noticed, asked, and received no answer. It wasn’t happening, not today. I’m pretty sure they’ll either figure it out, of hear the news from someone else anyway.

Today was a day that I truly favored the complexity of A-Level lessons. I could submerge myself into the work, and it was a valid excuse to not talk to anyone. As sad as it sounds, I wasn’t in the mood to deal with people in general today.

When it was time for lunch, I was all good to go and sit in the library, anything to get away from people. The buzz that everyone else had, the conversations filling the room, it all made me feel excluded, isolated. However much I tried, I couldn’t join in. My heart wasn’t with it. My heart was with Callum, and I had no control as to when I would be getting it back.

I currently had one earphone stuck in my ear, listening to music. The noise in my ear was more comforting than listening to the noise of other people. Listening to the lyrics and the beat kept my wandering mind at bay. Well – as much as it could anyway.