Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Callum’s hand rested lightly on my waist as we walked through my front door. My floral wedge heels came off instantly, as did Callum’s black pea coat and Converse.

We discovered that today – we both loved Converse.

He flipped them off, then dumped his coat on top of them, concealing the mess we left our shoes in. looking at me, he gave me a sheepish smile, complemented by a guilty shrug.

“It’s good enough,” I said, taking his hand and leading him through to our living room. He quickly made himself comfortable on the beige couch, crumpling the wide range of colours cushions that Mum would have spent a good few minutes plumping this morning, as usual. Using our still entwined hands, Callum pulled me down onto the sofa, making me land sloppily next to him.

“So what now?”

“I guess we can just watch TV until dinner’s ready.”

“Yeah, if you pick something good.”

“Hey! I always pick good things.”

“The Lion King,” he reminded me, making me giggle about my first babysitting experience, ending with me falling asleep half way through. That night, I literally got paid for sleeping.

Good times, very good times.

Although, it wasn’t quite as good as today – a movie date with yours truly and Callum. We went to watch a comedy of some sort, and hearing Callum laugh made the day even better.

The week we’ve dated so far he has shown me a complete one-eighty of his personality.  It’s like now I just have to walk in a room and he smiles, instead of the scowl I was usually greeted with.

It may have taken some time, a few months, but I eventually broke his shell. And it was so worth it.

The laughs, the smiles, the cuddles, and the kisses. Oh, wow, the kisses. Definitely the best reward.

I switched on the TV and, since the world hates me, Disney Channel came on.

“Yeah, nice one Rosie. You know, when I said something good, I actually meant: something good. For example, not Disney Channel.

I snorted and suck my tongue out. “Oh, whatever.” As an intro to one of the programs came on, Callum grabbed a handful of my hair, burying his face in it as he shouted: “Ah, it burns…it burns!”

“Alright, chill your beans dude, I’m changing it now.”

I switched the channels over, selecting Top Gear, a show which had Callum satisfied.

A series of loud thumps came from the stairs and a few short moments after, Daniel entered the room. I don’t understand why he has his own place when he spends just as much time here as he does there. A bit pointless, if you ask me.

He carried on walking, coming to a stop right before Callum. Here we go, the ‘tough big brother’ act. Better get the Oscars ready.

He raised his eyebrows at him, nodding to where Callum’s hand was placed, splayed out on my stomach, keeping our bodies pressed close together.

Getting the message, Callum removed his hand, lifting both up in the sigh of surrender. I sat up straight, crossing my legs underneath me.

“So you’re Callum.” It wasn’t really a question, more of a statement.

A short nod of his head was Callum’s reply.

He sat there, face expressionless, body still in the relaxed slouched position as Daniel stood there firing question after question. How Callum could keep up his steady façade while I blushed, cringed and laughed at some of the questions, I’ll never know. He appeared unaffected by the plethora of questions throw his way, answering in a monotonous voice to all of them.