Your Call

I'm tending to my flowers when my phone rings, loudly playing When I'm 64. This better not be a work call.

It's Saturday, and I'm supposed to be off from work, but who knows? My hours have been crazy this past month, always on call to take some new job or amazing opportunity. Not that I don't appreciate the work, but it can get pretty tiring, working as a freelance fashion designer.

I check the caller ID. Oh. It's Fef.

I answer it hastily. "Hello, Feferi."

"Hiiiya, Kan!" I can hear the smile in her voice. "Did you hear about the new girl? Apartment eight?"

I roll my eyes. "Everybody's heard about Vriska Serket. You haven't shut up about her."

She giggles. "Well, we're totally having a welcome party tonight! Six o'clock, my place, you definitely have to come."

"Feferi, tonight is my night off. I'm not supposed to have to do anything tonight, remember? I'm enjoying my solitude."

"Well, absolutely everyone is coming. Everyone."

Oh. Everyone.

"I guess…I might be able to come." I say hesitantly.

"Great. And you can bring a bowl of pretzels, right?" She asks in a way that makes it clear she isn't rally asking.

"Alright. I'll see you tonight, Feferi." I hang up before she can sign me up to bring more refreshments.

I almost regret the decision. Is it really worth giving up my free night just to see him? I had planned a relaxing bath, a glass of wine, and a good novel, something I haven't had time to do in a while. But…this takes priority. What other excuses would I have to see him? It's not like we're even more than acquaintances. 

I suppose it's time to go buy some pretzels.

***

The first time it rings, I let it go to voicemail. I really do not want to hear her persistently cheerful voice prattling in my ear right now. Why would she even call me? If she wants something, she can tell me to my face. We live in the same fucking apartment complex.

The second time it calls, she leaves a voicemail. I don't listen to it. I don't even fucking care at this point.

There's a sharp buzz, the sound of me getting a text. 

)(iiiii!!

Does she want to chat? Somehow I doubt it, so why preface what she wants to say with a greeting? Obviously she wants something from me. Something I probably won't want to give. Why doesn't she just flat out say it and save a whole lot of time and bullshit?

WHAT DO YOU WANT.

W)(al--e…

I want--ed to min-know…

IS IT AT ALL POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO STOP BEATING AROUND THE  PROVERBIAL BUSH?

YOURE CLOBBERING THAT SAD LITTLE FUCKER.

BLUDGEONING IT FROM ALL SIDES LIKE A MADMAN TURNED BESERKER.

ALL HAIL FEFERI, EMPRESS HEDGE MURDERER.

38) Oh, be s---earious, won't you?