eighteen

phil

i get a phone call from dan at midnight the following day. i let dan and lily stay the night after he brought her over to talk about what he was going to do, but today he went home to figure out what he was going to do. he lingered and stalled and made excuses as to why he shouldn't go home, but i sent him out at around nine.

"hello?" i clear my throat.

the sound of crying and faint yelling jerks me away.

"dan? dan, are you okay?" i'm frantically sitting up in bed, searching for my glasses.

"phil? can you.. can you come and get me?" his voice is weak and i can hear the yipping of lily in the background, under all the shouts and crying.

i have to go get dan out of there.

"yes, i'm on my way. don't worry, i'll be there soon." i'm running through the house, slipping in random shoes and snatching my keys from the table. he stays on the phone with me until it abruptly hangs up.

i know dan and i have only known each other for a short amount of time, but it seems like we both depend on each other heavily. i think i'm okay with that.

when i pull up to the curb of his house, the lights are all on.

i dial dan's number.

"hello?" his lovely but shaky voice answers.

"i'm here, love." i speak softly.

he says okay and starts shuffling around. he stays on the line as he tells his parents that he's leaving. i hear his father speak loudly, so loud it leaves me scared.

"don't ever come back, you worthless gay piece of scum excuse of a son. run off with that equally gay queer in your car, rescuing your sorry self."

the front door flings open and dan comes running out with a duffle bag of clothes and lily.

he looks exhausted and worn out. i just want to hug him and make sure he feels alright.

i lock eyes with dan's father for a moment as he steps into the doorway to slam the door shut. his eyes give off the look of pure hatred.

dan slips into the passenger seat, lily climbing in and sitting obediently in his lap.

"please drive." dan says as he leans his head against the headrest.

i take off down the street. we stay quiet for a while. dan let's his left hand dangle near where the gears and stuff are. cautiously, slowly, i inch my hand towards his and slip mine into his.

he doesn't protest. he gives my hand a gentle squeeze and smiles softly. we're gonna be alright.