twenty seven

phil

dan and i get up the next morning to go job hunt.

he insists that he can get me in with the music store, but i don't know if i want to work there. i miss my old job, despite annabelle always being all over me. we go to a few different places such as the bookstore, another different cafe, and a restaurant. i get applications from each and we head back to the cafe where i used to work.

annabelle waves at me when dan and i enter. i nod politely and let dan pick our booth. he chooses one in the far corner, with a wider table and a nice view of outside. he joins my side to order coffee.

+

"my mum has been calling me secretly, when my dad's not home. my little brother sometimes texts me to tell me he misses me, which sucks because i miss them too. i really wish i could see them, you know?" dan tells me later after i've completed all the application forms and we're just sipping away the rest of our coffee.

i feel my heart tug. i feel really bad about his family situation, with his dad being a homophobic arsehole and his other family members getting hit every time they try to stop him.

"maybe you could meet up with your mum and brother some other time when he's not home, while he's at work?" i suggest, slurping sounds coming from my straw.

dan stays silent before he whips out his phone and sends his mum a quick text. he reads it aloud to me.

"hey mum. i was wondering if maybe you and sam want to meet with me sometime. preferably when dad's not home, so you guys don't get in trouble. love you xx."

"that sounds really lovely. also.." i drift off, wondering if i should ask the question on the tip of my tongue. dan looks at me expectantly.

"would you maybe possibly, i don't know, want to be my boyfriend?" i rush out all at once, closing my eyes.

silence.

i open my eyes. there are tears in dan's eyes, but he moves to wipe them away quickly.

"a-are you serious? seriously serious?" his voice is so small, i can barely hear him. but i reassure him and nod.

"then.. yes, sunflower field."

author's note:

***important***

i changed dan's brother's name because i don't want to get harassed by anyone/invade in their privacy so his name will just be sam :)