Chapter 4: The First Message

By the time I got back to the apartment, Ruby was waiting outside the door with a look of eagerness and excitement. Her eyes were wide and her mouth was ajar in a smile. She was hopping and bouncing around like that of a young child waiting for the first available restroom stall.  She pretty much pulled me back inside the apartment, took the flyers and tossed them aside onto the table, and practically threw me on the living room couch.

"Alright, sis," said Ruby excitedly. "Tell me everything!"

Over the course of what felt like hours when in reality it was only twenty minutes, I told Ruby a play-by-play detail-by-detail story of my conversation with Jordan in the lobby. I had never seen my sister so enthralled.  Ruby was the kind of girl that never cared for gossip, or rumors, or drama growing up. But apparently when it came to anything involving me, she was all over it with eagerness etched in her face as she sat on the edge of her seat.

Once I finished the story, Ruby was bursting with enthusiasm.

"Carrie, this is just so exciting!" Ruby exclaimed. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Easy, Ruby!" I laughed. "Calm down! It's not like he really asked me out on a date. Hell, I don't even know if he likes me."

Ruby scoffed. "Girl, after the story you just told, he's definitely got a crush on you. I just wish I could get a good look at him. You know how good I am at reading people."

"I know," I said with a shrug, "but I don't wanna find out if he likes me just by your observations. I'd much rather have him tell me or find out myself."

"Well, alright then," said Ruby. "I can respect that. I won't get involved unless you ask, okay?"

"Okay," I said with a nod. "Thanks, big sis."

Ruby smiled. "No prob. You still up for a pizza?"

I looked up surprised. I couldn't believe I had forgotten about food!

"Oh, yeah!" I said with a laugh. "Flyers are on the table. You order; I need to charge my phone."

Ruby nodded and went to the kitchen. I stood up from the couch and proceeded to my bedroom to charge my phone.

As I slid the power cord into my cellphone, my alarm for texts sounded. I looked down at my phone.  There was a number I didn't recognize flashing in my lock screen, gazing up at me with a message bearing the word "Hey" with a winking face emoticon.

"Hmm," I said, not bothering to think twice about who might've been texting, "must be a wrong number."

Just as I was about to remove the number from my message inbox, another message popped up from the same number.  As my eyes lightly skimmed over the new message, I felt the bones in my legs quiver. The beating of my heart quickened almost immediately and my hands began to tremble.

"It's Jordan, FYI lol :D," the message said.

"Oh my God!" I whisper-cried, trying to regain my composure long enough to tap a reply.

"Oh hey! Was starting to think you had forgotten about me ;)"

"C'mon, i'm not THAT forgetful ._."

"Well, i wouldn't know that. I only met you like 3hrs ago."

"Technically you didn't meet me OFFICIALLY until 20min ago :P"

"Oh hush! You know what I mean Cx"

"Kidding! You are so easy to mess with ;)"

"It is a burden I must carry xP"

"Aww poor Carrie lol :)"

My cheeks were growing sore from my endless smile and hot from the raging red that continued to spread throughout my face. I couldn't believe Jordan was actually texting me! I figured he would be so busy and would never have time for me. But honestly, who wouldn't feel like that?

My new friend was an Internet Star!

Oh, how I desperately wished I could be more than a friend.

I felt the slight buzz of the vibration in my hand then looked down and saw a new text from Jordan.

"So listen, I need a favor," said the message.

"Ok, what's up?" I tapped back.

"Well I have this new tshirt design that I really want to put up on Spreadshirt and...god this is so embarrassing! xD"

"No, no it's ok! Just tell me what you need"

It took a while before the reply came.

"Ok...I want to post a model/demo photo of me wearing the design before I officially put it on the market."

I gasped. I was sure I knew where he was going with this, but just to be sure...

"I think I see where you're going with this ;D you're bad with a camera and want me to take a photo."

"Well I was gonna say 'cuz you take really amazing pictures but yeah...I actually am pretty bad :P I mean c'mon have you SEEN my Instagram selfies??"

I was super ecstatic. Jordan Maron, the great CaptainSparklez, wanted me to photograph him!

My entire body was trembling with excitement as I typed my reply.

"OMG wow! I'd be honored! It's not everyday I get to photograph an internet star!"

"Haha very funny x) I know a good spot near the park would could shoot the pics (:"

"Great! 11am ok to you?"

"Perfect :D i'll see you then."

"Yeah :) i can't wait"

"Me either lol ;D"

"CARRIE!" Ruby called from the kitchen. "PIZZA!"

I clutched my hand to my heart, feeling the rapid beating of the sudden startle against my palm.  Ruby knows I scare easily.  Sometimes I felt she did that just because she knew I'd freak out.

"Jesus Christ, Ruby!" I hollered back. "It's not like I'm in another fucking dimension! Give me a sec!"

I typed my final message to Jordan.

"I gotta get going :/ my sister ordered pizza and a girl's gotta eat lol ^,^"

"Lol alright. I'll talk to you tomorrow. See you at 11 :)"

I sat my phone back down on my desk and spun around excitedly in my chair. If there was any happiness greater than what I was feeling at that moment, I frowned upon it, because I didn't believe there was a happiness greater than mine!

I stood up from my chair just in time to see Ruby opening my door, holding a large greasy piece of pizza in her hand.  Immediately, she took notice of my extreme happiness.

"Did I miss something?" she asked eagerly.

I stood up, grinning a grin that would envy the happiest man on Earth.

"Oh, Ruby!" I cried happily. "You have no idea!"