Chapter 9: The Festival

My camera hung securely from my neck as Jordan and I continued to follow behind the giggly couple in front of us.  Mark and Ruby were literally attached at the hip, their arms tightly wrapped around each other's torsos. Jordan's head was bowed, glaring at the sidewalk beneath his feet. I knew he was feeling the same awkward romantic tension as I was.

"This was not how I played out this evening to be in my head," he grumbled, looking up slightly to eyeball Mark and Ruby's backsides.

"Aww, come on Jordan," I said with a pat on top of his gray beanie. "It could be worse. They could still be making out in the lobby while we stand and watch with shocked expressions caked on our faces."

Jordan snickered a bit under his breath and looked up at me. "Yeah, I guess."

"Besides," I continued, "I'm sure the festival will make up for it."

Jordan smiled and pointed ahead past Mark and Ruby to the sight of a bright yellow glow from Chinese lanterns hanging from the branches of the park trees. We were getting closer.

"Wow!" said Ruby as we crossed the final crosswalk to the park. "It's even better than last year!"

"This is an annual thing?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah!" said Mark, stopping and turning to face me. "This festival is something the Santa Barbara Parks and Rec. Association puts on every year. They say they do it to raise money for new parks, but I say they just want to show off how awesome their parks already are."

"Oh, Mark!" Ruby giggled, linking arms with him. "You're so funny!"

I rolled my eyes in annoyance and groaned softly. I heard Jordan snicker under his breath and bumped him with my hip.

"Hey!" he said playfully as he tried to bump me back.

I quickly jumped out of the way and said with a wink, "No bump-backs!"

Jordan laughed and I thanked God it was dark, so I knew Jordan couldn't see how red my face was becoming.

No bump-backs? I thought angrily. Ugh, what is wrong with me? Seriously!

I remember during that time, Mark and Ruby branched off from us leaving Jordan and I alone to enjoy the festivities.

To hide my embarrassed face from Jordan, I placed my eye to the viewfinder of my camera and started clicking away at every festivity in sight. There were booths lined along the park's paths handing out flyers about charity programs and fundraisers. There were little kiddie carnival booths for ring tosses and ball throws. Children were weaving around my legs with strings of balloons tied around their skinny wrists. Bright red and gold streamers were tied around tree trunks and lampposts. Every single tree branch was occupied with gorgeous handmade Chinese lanterns.

After what felt like a thousand clicks, I let my camera rest against my chest and I flopped down on a bench to take a break. Jordan smiled and sat next to me.

"Geez, I guess photography is basically your version of a workout," said Jordan smugly.

I smiled. "I guess you could say that, yes. Photography is my day-to-day. It's my way of...immersing myself in another world."

"Wow, you're a photographer AND a deep thinker!" said Jordan with a laugh. "I guess that explains how deep your photos are."

"Ha!" I said. "That's nothing compared to the other things about me!"

"Ooh, do tell!" said Jordan, propping his elbow up on his knee and letting his head fall into his hand.

I giggled and before he could protest, swiftly lifted my camera and snapped a photo of him.