Chapter 8: A Very Crafty Gift

I stood outside the apartment door for what felt like hours with the key shaking in my hand. Twice, I dropped the key on the carpeted floor and picked it up with trembling fingers. I was actually terrified to enter my own home. I didn't know what to expect when I walked through the door; Ruby drunk and passed out on the floor?

No, she hadn't picked up a drink in years. She would never go back to that.

Ruby crying in her bedroom?

Possibly. She liked seclusion when she was upset.

Ruby gone?

No! I would not even consider that a possibility! She promised she'd try to be there for me.

She promised.

I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. I pictured my day with Jordan and felt a sudden happy glow spread through my veins, causing me to smile slightly.

I exhaled slowly, unlocked the apartment door with a trembling hand and stepped inside.

At the sound of the clicking lock, I saw Ruby's body rise from the couch. She turned around as I shut the door.  Her eyes looked even redder than when I had left. The red welt on her cheek had subsided and she was trembling.

"Carrie," she whispered hoarsely, stepping around the couch with her arms open.

I let my camera bag slip to the floor and practically threw myself into Ruby's open arms. The feeling of my sister hugging me this way was something I had not experienced in a long time...

**FLASHBACK**

The sky is black with storm clouds.  Heavy rain drops pound my head and trickle down the side of my face, mixing with my salty tears as I dial the number with shaky fingers.

"Come on, come on," I whisper frantically into the payphone.  "Please be awake, Ruby.  Please be awa---"

"H-hello?" answers a groggy voice.  "Whoever you are, do you realize it's well after midnight?"

"Ruby!" I cry.  "Oh thank God!"

"Carrie?" she gasps.  The sleep in her voice has suddenly vanished at the realization of her speaking to me.  "Sis!  My God, where have you been?  Why haven't you been calling?  I've been so---"

"R-Ruby," I stammer, trying to force back my tears, "help me.  Please, help me..."

"What?" she says, a certain edginess in her voice.  "Carrie, what's going on?  Where are you?"

"I'm...I'm just outside Ventura," I whisper hoarsely.  "It's pouring rain, I'm cold and tired and hungry and...sis, I need you."

"What the HELL are you doing in Ventura?" she cries worriedly.  "Carrie, what has hap---"

"Ruby, please!" I scream.  A lightning flash follows a clap of thunder and I flinch.  "I need you to get me.  Just you, no one else."

"O-okay, okay!" she says quickly.  "I'll get there as fast as I can, just hang tight!"

"Hurry, Ruby," I whisper.  "I...I love you, sis."

"Carrie!" she cries.  "I"m coming!  I love y---."

"Please deposit twenty-five cents to continue this call."

"Dammit!" I shout.  "I"m sorry, Ruby, I have to go."

"No no no, Carrie don't---"

I put the phone back on the receiver, slowly sink to my knees in a puddle, and sob.  My water-heavy clothes keep me from properly standing.