Chapter 19

CAROLINE'S POV

"You always do this." I laughed, curling up next to Asher on the couch in his basement. Once again, we were watching his show on Netflix instead of mine, I don't mind though. Even though I'd never tell him, I've grown to like it. 

"Maybe after I finish this show we'll start a new series together." Asher said, pulling me in and pressing play. I didn't know it at the time, but we wouldn't last long enough to start a new series together. But because I wasn't aware of this I told him I'd like that and then started thinking of shows we would both like. 

The show played scene after scene, and I was half watching it, half gazing at Asher. The past few months had been amazing, I never thought I'd love someone that much. I had the waves in his hair and the dimples on his cheeks memorized. I knew everything about him, he knew everything about me. He was my first time for everything. Even if we did disagree sometimes, he was my first love, and nothing can replace that. 

"Will you quit staring at me?" Asher said laughing, pausing the show, and pulling my from my thoughts. I laughed too, but a blush was growing on my face. He gave my red cheeks a peck and I could feel his smile on my skin. Even after the moment passed, he didn't press play on the show. We just sat there, looking into each others eyes, taking turns giggling and turning shades of red. 

"I will never forget this moment." Asher stated with a chuckle, I felt as though he were staring right into the deepest parts of me, and I couldn't love him more. He checked the time and date on his phone and then looked back up at me.

"At 1:14 pm on March 31st-" He started.

"Wait what?" I said, my smile fading and a pit growing in my stomach.

"What's wrong?" He asked suddenly.

"What's the date today?" I asked, not sure if I heard correctly.

"The 31st of March." He said, unsure of what was going on. My heart immediately dropped to my stomach. March 31st, two years since my dad died. Two years since my world fell apart completely. And now that I finally had myself all put back together, my obsession with a boy kept me from realizing that today was that day. Today was the day that my everything was taken off this earth. Now that I realized, I was broken once again.

Deep in my own thought, I hadn't even realized that tears had slowly started making their way down my face.

"Caroline, really, what's wrong?" Asher asked.

"Umm, I didn't drive here so I'm just going to call my mom and have her come pick me up." I stated between sobs. I tried to walk away, but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"Please tell me what's going on." He said.

"I'm sorry, it doesn't involve you it's just... personal stuff." I said quietly, not really wanting to go through this with him.

"Caroline, your personal stuff does involve me. Please." He said, upset that I wasn't communicating with him. I breathed a shaky breath while looking at his face.

"I'm going to send my mom a message." I said, putting on a brave face and wiping my tears away. I pulled out my phone and asked Taylor to come pick me up as soon as she could. She responded quickly that she'd be over in 15.

"Are we okay?" Asher asked, concerned.

"Yeah, this isn't about us, we're fine. I'll explain it later. My mom is on her way."

"You mean Taylor? I could've-"

"No," I said in a stronger voice than I expected, "I don't "mean Taylor", I mean my mom." I was no longer actively crying, my sadness was building to anger.