Chapter 22

CAROLINE'S POV

For the first time in almost a week I woke up not thinking about Asher. I was filled with nothing but warmth and happiness. I was in Taylor's soft bed, surrounded by fluffy white blankets and cats. Taylor was sitting up in bed beside me reading a book.

"Good morning beautiful." She said, looking down from her book momentarily and lowering one of her hands to run her fingers through my bedhead.

"Morning." I yawned, nestling my head into the pillow. I laid there silently for a while, eyes closed, taking in the comfort around me while Taylor continued to absentmindedly play with my hair.

"Do you want to go shopping with me?" Taylor asked suddenly, putting a bookmark in her book then setting it on the bedside table. She re-positioned herself by sitting up a little straighter in bed and crossing her arms over her chest all while waiting for my reply.

"Now?" I asked tiredly, still not opening my eyes or moving my body.

"Yeah..." She replied as if it were a question.

"But it feels so good just to stay in bed." I said, pulling the comforter up over my shoulder and basking in its warmth. I finally opened my eyes to find her staring down at me in slight disbelief.

"Honey. It's 11 am. You've been sleeping for 12 hours." Taylor said lovingly, but she looked at me with her eyebrows raised like I was pathetic. I let out a laugh and she kissed my forehead when I finally agreed to go shopping with her.

Once I was out of bed and in my room, I rummaged through my suitcase that I had brought to New York with me. I knew there would be cameras once we stepped out of the apartment, and it made me self conscious that Taylor always looked so effortlessly beautiful in all the pictures and usually I looked kind of like a sack of potatoes.

I picked out the best outfit I had brought, a floral mini skirt with a plain top and heels. I spent 20 minutes on my makeup, making sure not a single eyelash was out of place. Next I curled my hair until it was no longer bedhead, but a head of long, shimmering gold locks. I knew Asher would see the paparazzi pictures online and I knew I had to look my very best.

"You ready?" Taylor asked after a while, poking her head into the bedroom.

"Yeah." I replied, putting on my shoes and taking one last look at myself in the mirror. This time I was far from a sack of potatoes, and that was something to be proud of.

Riding the elevator down to the ground level before braving the paparazzi with Taylor had always been kind of nerve wracking. I knew paparazzi photos were good for Taylor's publicity, but until today, they always made me uneasy. Now I knew that Asher would see photos of me looking better than ever post-breakup. And as childish as it seems, I want to break his heart like he broke mine.

Stepping out of the apartment building, cameras clicked and Taylor put her hand on the small of my back, knowing how I usually felt about this. I just held my head high, trying to put on my most pleasant face without overdoing it. Judging by how the photos came out a few hours later, I'd say I did a damn good job.

Still, my body instantly relaxed once the car door was shut, leaving all the men with cameras behind. 

"So, I was thinking that we should buy you like a killer new wardrobe because who doesn't want to flaunt a stunning outfit after a breakup?" Taylor said, all while looking down at her phone for outfit ideas after we had driven off. I smiled to myself, knowing the two of us were on the same page here.

"You need a few outfits that will make him regret breaking up with you, but not enough good outfits that you would ever take him back. You'll never take him back. He doesn't deserve you. But I do like the prospect of making him suffer through your wardrobe." Taylor rambled. 

"So do I." I laughed, staring out the window at the crowded streets.

"You see, I like that." Taylor said, showing me an outfit picture on her phone.

"And this." She said pulling up another.

The next 20 minutes were spent discussing outfits and the style I was going for, with the occasional rant about Asher and what a dick he was and how I was better off without him. I had so much love for Taylor in that moment. She always made sure I had everything I ever needed and more, whether those things be material or just love. She loved me so much I could cry thinking about it. 

I guess God really does have a plan, because there is no other explanation as to why I would end up here with Taylor.

-------

Hey guys! This is a pretty short chapter so sorry about that. I just wanted to let you guys know that the next chapter will be the last for this story and then I will get started on the last story/book in the series, which I am so excited for and have so many ideas for. Anyway, thanks for reading!