October 20th

I was going to be in so much trouble when I got home.

        But, my father decided to wait until after my little trip to take away every privilege I've ever earned. Maybe it's because he could tell how important this is to me, to Nina. Or maybe he could see the steely determination in my eyes. Whatever the case, he let me board my flight.

        Joe accompanied me right up until I actually got onto the plane, silence surrounding us as we walked. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence, though. There was simply nothing to be said, and there was no point in attempting small talk.

        "Well... thank you," I said sheepishly once it was time for us to part. He simply smiled and bent down to wrap his tattooed arms around me.

        "Go save her," he murmured before pulling away and walking towards the doors from which we had just come, leaving me standing, dumbfounded, at the spot he had left me. The tender gesture left a warm feeling in my head, and a smile on my lips. What I liked best was that the act held no trace of romantic intent; it was simply two friends, sharing a hug.

        I turned and raced to the waiting plane, my happy expression never faltering. Before I knew it, I was on board, and on my way across an ocean to another continent.

        I did the only thing I could do. I went to sleep for the next four hours.

        Suddenly, I was inside of a volcano, and there was a roller coaster that would take you through the caverns. Nina sat in the seat next to me, but she didn't get her seatbelt secured in time. The ride began to move and she was thrown into the lava.

        The image switched abruptly, and now I stood with Joe at a lakeside. He was skipping stones, some managing to jump several times over the water, while some simply sank. He was muttering as he threw each rock.

"Happiness."

Skip. Skip. Skip.

"Death."

Sink.

"Visit."

Skip. Skip. Skip.

"Abuse."

Sink.

        Suddenly, I was the one tossing stones and saying random words under my breath. I wasn't as good as Joe was.

        The scene changed once again, and this time I stood in a meadow, with a yellow and black version of the dress that Alice wears in Wonderland. Next to me stood a rabbit, with bronze fur and a pocket watch. When it spoke, it spoke with Nina's voice.

        "Running out of time, yes, you're late. You're going to be too late for the tea party."

        The rabbit hopped away, only to be replaced by a large, tough looking man in a top hat. He reached a hand towards me.

        "Do you need help, miss? Doesn't matter how crazy your plan to save the day is. After all, we're all mad here."

         I reached out to take his hand, but he disappeared in a puff of multicolored smoke before we could touch.

        I lied down in the meadow, letting the soft, green grass cover me until I was no longer visible. My Alice self fell into a deep sleep.

        And there, on the airplane, my real self woke up with a start.

        I had a massive case of jet lag, and I was having trouble prying my eyes open. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, attempting not to touch the rather large woman at my side. I pulled out my phone to text Nina, before remembering that there was no  service on the plane. Instead, I fished through my backpack until I found the letter that had been sent to me so long ago. I looked at the address, committing it to memory so I would be able to find my best friend once I landed. I placed it back in the bag beside my wallet, which held enough money for up to two nights in a hotel and a few meals. Hopefully, I would find Nina before I needed to spend it.