October 21st

I had one day.

         Only twenty-four hours until my best friend followed through with her plan to take her own life.

         That was the only thought that ran through my head as I shoved my way through the crowded Atlanta streets, hands wrapped around yet another cup of coffee that I had just gotten at a nearby coffee shop. I had to admit that it was good, but not nearly as rejuvenating as the beverages that you could get at a French café.

        I looked down at my phone again, knowing that I would need to take the train to a few cities over to get a bit closer to where Nina lived, and then I'd have to find a taxi or something to get all the way there. Of course, I knew by the time I managed to get there, it would be too late in the day to actually see her, so I would be stopping at a hotel for the night.

        It was a plan. Not the greatest plan, as it left me with an undesirable time crunch at the end, but it was a plan.

        Getting onto the actual platform was a bit of a struggle, but eventually, I was waiting for the train with a family with a little girl and a teenage boy.

        "Hey, beautiful," the boy said to me with a wink, taking a step towards me.

        It took more willpower than I'd like to admit to not shove him into the path of an oncoming train.

        Instead I just rolled my eyes. "Not interested."

        He pouted mockingly. "Oh come on. Not at all? You've got a sexy accent." He added, his voice getting a slightly seductive tinge to it.

        Needless to say, I was happy when the train I was getting on arrived at that moment and I was able to leave the creep behind.

        The section I was in was already crowded, so I let the little girl from earlier take the seat I was about to sit in and stood instead. Then we started moving, and I had time to think.

        I was actually going to meet Nina. And of course I knew this was solely a mission to save her, but I couldn't help but feel giddy. After talking to her for so long, I would be able to see her, touch her.

        If I wasn't too late.

        A buzz from my pocket jerked me out of my rather morbid thoughts. I pulled out my phone and glanced down at the screen. It was a text from Joe.

Did you land safely?

        I chided myself mentally for not immediately checking in with Joe when the plane landed. After all, I pretty much owed this entire trip to him.

Yea, thanks to you! Thanks again for everything. I answered as quickly as quickly as my fingers could type.

Of course.

        I decided to leave the conversation with that. I wasn't actually a huge fan of texting in general, mainly because I got bored easily, even with my best friends. I always made random excuses to leave, even if I had absolutely nothing better to do. A lot of people were annoyed by this, but I didn't really care.

        I took the opportunity to also send my father a quick text, letting him know that I was okay. I didn't want my parents to worry even more than they probably already were.

        The sound and feeling of movement resonated all around me, and I decided to take a moment to just forget. Forget about everything that had been troubling me for the past few days.