Inches Apart

flashback - timeline - POV                                                                                                                                                  (Y/N)- Your name                                                                                                                                                                    (Y/F/I-CF)- Your favourite ice-cream flavour                                                                                                              (Y/EC)- Your eye colour

Y/N POV

"Who the hell is that? Why was she kissing you too?''

Being dominated by a profound sadness, every other emotion pushed from my being.

''It- It doesn't look like what it seems (y/n)!"

Once that first tear broke free, the rest flowed in an unbroken stream. 

"Nonsense! JUST TELL ME ALREADY!"

I had zero idea of where I was running to, probably somewhere far away from my horrific nightmare. 

"Fine, We're over. We are not naïve young 'children' now. I don't feel the connection compared back in our university times. It was fun while it lasted. Sorry."

"I unde- I see how it is."

Which translates to:

"I HATE YOU. You barely even put in the effort during these past few months. Our relationship was never beyond our stupid cell phone. You couldn't be god dammit say: I love you in real life sometimes. AS IF, I had nothing to do with you from the very start. I should be the one saying all those, not you. What the bloody f*ck!"

I suddenly felt a guy's strong chest pounding against then off me, realising that I have fortuitously bumped into someone."Sorry," the only word I could whimpered out . Covering my hideous face with my Jute tote bag, I tried to escape, only to stop again upon hearing a reassuring voice.

''(Y/N)? I'm so glad I finally found you. I'm here darling. Let it all out now,'' his voice was so soothing, so consoling.

"Robbie?" I silently thought.

"You know I kept looking for you high and low. I went to your house, your parents said you went over to your boyfriend's house. Went there just to see a devastating sight. He knew I was searching for you, so he was like: oH wE ArEn't TogEtHeR aNYmOrE iF tHAT iS whAT yoUr'E asKING. What an asshole right? Thank God I found-" 

"boyfriend?" The distressing sentence again rang in my head once more,"Fine, We're over. We are not naïve young 'children' now. I don't feel the connection compared back in our university times. It was fun while it lasted. Sorry."

My bottom lip quivered, I bit lip to stop the tears from rolling out. The words continuously echoed in my deadened mind. I sobbed while having those breathy gasps.

"Oh no, no, no. I'm sorry (Y/N)! Urm... Stay here. Do not go anywhere else!"

I obeyed him, knowing that I have no other place to go too.

Robbie's POV

(Y/N) would not stop crying....

"God dammit. Why do I always screw up when it comes to woman's stuff? Put yourself together Robbie," I thought. I looked around for something, anything that will calm her down. Books? Posters? Movies? Clothes?

That was when I heard... 

"Ice-cream! Buy 1 for 1 at $2!" The ice-cream man shouted.

That might do it ! It will work... hopefully.

"One (Y/F/I-CF) with Stracciatella!" I gave a dashing smile.

(Y/N)'s POV

( Five minutes later )

 I heard running footsteps followed by a worn out panting.

"Here, I got you something. I recalled this one moment. When we went to an ice-cream store after the movies and wouldn't stop blabbering about this certain flavour that your eyes were even beaming," Robbie said trying to enlighten the atmosphere.

I took the ice-cream cone from his hand. Sorrow in the new smile of mine, I finally glanced up to thank him. My (e/c) eyes met his ocean-like blue eyes. This time all the words were stuck at the back of my throat unable to get out. We stared at each other for who knows how long. My body was frozen stiff.

I felt his hand slowly cupped my face with his hands, moving my face closer to his. We were now just inches apart. His eyes looked down on my lip and back to my eyes. One simple move and our lips would interlock. I closed my eyes, letting him get ahold of me. I waited for the moment, only to hear an apology.

"Sh*t. I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have done something like this to you,'' He whispered loud enough for only us to hear, before moving his head away from me almost immediately.

I got back to my senses, forcing a small curvy smile, I replied "Oh, urm... yeah. It's fine, really. Thanks for being the ice-cream too."

"Dammit, What is wrong with me? Yearning for another guy after a break-up just happen? We were just inches apart though..."

Robbie's POV

"Here, I got you something. I recalled this one moment. When we went to an ice-cream store after the movies and wouldn't stop blabbering about this certain flavour that your eyes were even beaming," destroying the stiff atmosphere.

Still in her moody wonderland, she took the small gift from my hand. Crossing my fingers, I kept hoping that I would be able to see that amazing cheerful face of her's again.

She's smiling! Score one for Robbie! If only she knew how pretty her smile was, how pure and vulnerable she was too.

She looked up. I just noticed that we were standing extremely close to each other. I felt my mind taking control of my movements. I examine her eyes carefully, red puffy eyes from all the beads of tears yet able to stand out like the only girl in the world. 

"Is it worth the try. I really like her and will take care of her. She just went through a painful breakup, but this is the only shot I have," I considered carefully.

I slowly held her face gently with my big hands. She seems to be going with the flow...

"Maybe this one time?" I thought.

Our face closed in. I could feel her breath, we were now just inches apart. I saw her pretty eyes closed right before our lips could touch...

"This doesn't seem right. Forget it, she's still recovering! Stupid Robbie," I snapped back into reality, pulling away before I screw up something again.

"Sh*t. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have done something like this to you,'' I apologised to her. (Y/N) surprisingly replied sadly, her eyes slowly growing darker and lifeless but plastering a fake smile on her face, "Oh, urm... yeah. It's fine, really. Thanks for being the ice-cream too."

"Was this the right choice? I was inches away from it. Was it worth it?"