Author's Note (The Beginning)

This is supposedly a work of fiction.  I say that because this entire story is based on experiences I have had in my life, with the exception of the very end.  Every memory and dream described here, along with some others that just didn't fit in the story, are still as vivid to me as if they happened yesterday.  I remember every detail and while this story cranked out fairly quickly after I toured a house (which I later moved into), I had to take a break from writing it a couple of times because I was getting a little bit freaked out from reliving the memories.

I submitted this story for consideration to a magazine called The Leading Edge.   While they did not accept it for publication, it was an incredible experience to submit the story and anxiously await an answer.  Even better was the two critiques I got along with the rejection.  Those alone were well worth the wait.

I still get a little bit of a hard time because of my fear of the dark.  I guess, though, if those people have experienced what I have, maybe they would understand a little more.  It has gotten a little better over the years, but I am still a little paralyzed sometimes - in some situations.  A special thanks goes to the few who, even through their chuckles and jokes, make sure there is a light turned on for me somewhere or a hand to hold.

I hope you all enjoy the story.  I welcome all comments and I thank you for reading.

-Bill