From Underneath (Epilogue)

If he had been able to see beyond normal sight, in the darkness of The Room downstairs he would have noticed a small figure come up from the floor when he first stepped in and shone his light. Wispy, like smoke. He would have seen it, and dozens of creatures just like it,reach up and grab the floor and pull themselves up and out of wherever it was they were coming up from. He would have described them as small and black with big eyes – and maybe a row of sharp teeth. If he had been able to see beyond sight and looked behind him when he was in his friend's car getting a ride to work, he would have seen them all running after him on the road. Easily keeping pace with the car but not overtaking it. If he had been able to hear much better – like as well as your average dog could – he would have heard the chittering laughter as the creatures talked about the havoc they would wreak when they followed him to wherever it was he was going. They easily attached themselves to people like him, but they wouldn't be strong enough to stay once he knew what was going on. It would only last a day, they thought, but it would be fun. However,since he couldn't see or hear beyond that which was normal, he was only left with a vague uneasiness – like butterflies in his stomach. But he had felt that way before...