Chapter Forty Five

The moment seemed to stretch out as they just stared at each other in complete disbelief across the courtyard. Harry didn't even dare blink in case the boy went away. His boy. He was real, he was right there.

Rocky fluttered up to Fan's shoulder, and they both joined Harry in his disbelief.

And then the boy moved.

"HARRY!" he bellowed, breaking into a sprint that startled passers-by and made Harry take a step back in surprise. The boy didn't flinch though, and neither did his dog as they tore across the square, skirting past the women who turned to watch him whizz by with fierce determination.

Harry barely had time to process what was happening before the boy had darted around the restaurant's tables and thrown his arms around him. "Salazar Slytherin," the boy gasped as he all but crushed Harry with his embrace. "I was starting to think I'd never see you again."

Harry didn't know what to think, his mind was a whir and his body was buzzing, but there was one word that managed to catch his attention, and he pulled away from the embrace to look at the mystery dream boy with a frown.

"Again?" he repeated.

The boy became a bit shy and took a step back, cleaning his throat and rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. He was...beautiful, there was no other word for it. Extremely dashing in what looked like pirate attire, which had surprised Harry at first, but he couldn't say he was complaining now considering how tight the trousers were. He tried not to blush and shook his head, attempting to prioritise his thoughts. He may have been pretty, but what did he mean by 'again'? He and Harry had never met?

"Are you alright?" he asked Harry. "I was so worried when I couldn't find you, all these lands are pretty odd to say the least."

"Oi," groused the dog in a very masculine voice despite his frilly hat. "No need to be rude now is there?"

"What do you mean?" said Harry, thoroughly confused. He really sounded like he thought he knew him, but that wasn't possible.

"Well, Christmas Land and Halloween Land," he said with a laugh and rolled his eyes. "Completely mental."

Harry felt something cold slip through his heart. "What's wrong with Christmas Land?" he asked, hurt. This wasn't how he had imagined this meeting going at all.

The boy frowned. "Well, nothing, I suppose."

Harry glanced at Fan and Rocky, who both gave him a shrug. He didn't have much of a choice, he was going to have to be direct. "I'm sorry," he said. "But, you sound as if you know me."

The boy's face fell, and he turned to his own companion with a mixture of fear and shock. "Well, yeah Harry," he said. "That's why I was looking for you – isn't that why you were looking for me?"

Harry shifted, feeling the humiliation rise from his churning stomach. "Erm, not exactly," he admitted.

"Harry had a dream," Fan said, and Harry cringed. He wasn't sure he really wanted to admit that yet.

"A dream?" the boy repeated with a frown.

"Yes," she confirmed eagerly, despite Harry's meaningful look for her to stop. "So he wasn't even sure you were real until we saw the wanted posters."

The boy's face changed again, shifting at once to concern. "Are you alright?" he asked again, reaching as if to take Harry's hand but then thinking better of it. "Were they looking for you too?"

"Why would they be looking for me?" Harry questioned, offended. "I didn't do anything wrong. Why were they looking for you?"

The boy considered him for a moment. "Because I remembered," he said softly. "But, but you don't, do you?"

Harry was feeling very uncomfortable, like everyone else knew a secret except him. He looked towards his friends again, but they both shook their heads. "Do you mean the dream?" he asked. "Because I remember bits and pieces, I guess."

"No," said the boy earnestly. "No I mean the real world, your real life? If you don't remember that, why are you moving through the lands?"

Harry hugged himself and scowled. He wasn't going to tell him the reason he was looking for him was some ridiculous notion of being in love. "Well of course I remember my life," he said touchily. "But I had a stupid nightmare, about you, and everyone told me I had to go find you. But I'm starting to think that was a bad idea."

"So, do you remember me at all?" the boy asked.

Harry huffed. "How can I, we've never met?"

The boy looked down at the dog, who shook his head. "You need to jolt his memory, ask him questions like I did with you."

"Harry," the boy said, turning and focusing his intense silver eyes on him. "My name is Draco and we don't belong here. We come from the Living Land, do you remember?"

Harry spluttered. "Don't be absurd," he cried, moving closer to Fan, who laid a protective hand on his shoulder. "I had never even left Christmas Land until today."

"No," said the boy, Draco apparently, with patience which just irked Harry further. "That's just what they want you to think, so you don't try and leave?"

"Why would I leave?" Harry demanded. "Leave, leave and go where?"