Chapter Fifty Five

There was a pause, and then the Aurors scattered, voices rising as they all talked at once, shouting orders at each other in order to get themselves prepared.

"What if Harry's not with Malfoy?" Ron asked Hermione in a small voice, and she shook her head.

"This is better than nothing, and if we can save at least one of them, then we have to do it." A lump rose in her throat, but she swallowed it down as best she could. If this didn't work, she had no intention of giving up. If she had to, she would go through a damn tree portal herself and go looking for them, wherever they had gone.

"Which door should we try?" Ron asked, looking around at the hundreds of possibilities that they had to chose from. "The Vegan one, seeing as it opened for us already?"

"It does seem that holidays have the most power on their specific date," Hermione agreed with a nod. "But-"

"Excuse me, Headmistress?" One of the Aurors called over to them, and McGonagall turned to see what direction they were hailing her. A lot of the Aurors were still rushing back and forth, but there was a small group huddled by one of the fourth level trees. They had brought several jars of blue flame over to them, so they were well lit, as well as the tree they were currently inspecting.

"Yes?" replied McGonagall as she strode over.

"What now?" Ron muttered, but Hermione and Pansy walked over in apprehensive silence.

"This just materialised," one of the Aurors said, pointing at the tree.

Hermione moved around the group, expecting to see another calendar month, but instead she saw a lion reared up on its hind legs, its paws batting in front of it, and a snake wrapped protectively around its body.

"Is it just me," said Pansy, edging closer with wonder on her face. "Or does that look like a union of Gryffindor and Slytherin?"

"You see it too?" Hermione asked. She wasn't sure why, but that immediately gave her some hope.

Pansy nodded, as did everyone else. "It seems we have an anomaly," McGonagall commented, touching the markings on the bark.

Hermione's throat had gone dry. "What if it's Harry and Malfoy trying to contact us?" she suggested. It couldn't be a coincidence, not with a missing Gryffindor and Slytherin on their hands.

"Agreed," said McGonagall, then stepped back from the tree to address the Aurors. "I propose that we target our efforts to reach the students from here. Are there any objections?" There were not, and the preparations for the spells began again in earnest.

Pansy laid her palm flat against the illustration, and Hermione flinched just for the briefest of moments as she thought something might happen. But nothing did. "Are you sure about this?" she asked her, giving her one last chance to bow out if she wanted. It made sense for her to try and use the bond she and Draco already shared, but Hermione would happily go in her place if necessary.

Pansy nodded though. "Absolutely," she answered, her voice steady and determined.

"Thank you, dear," McGonagall said, laying a hand on Pansy's shoulder, which she looked down at, somewhat perplexed. "Alight," McGonagall announced in a louder voice. "If we're intending on bringing their souls back, they had better have some bodies to find their way into. We need to go fetch them from the medical ward."

"I'll do it," said Ron immediately. "I don't think I'll be much help here, but I want to do what I can."

"Me too," said Hermione, taking his hand. "That way we can each take a body and steer them here safely. And quickly," she added purposefully.

McGonagall nodded, then hastily walked away to assist the Aurors.

Pansy took a hold of Hermione's elbow, and looked her dead in the eye. "I want you to be in charge of Draco," she said, all trace of playfulness gone from her demeanour.

"Uh, okay," she said. "Why?"

She leaned in close, whispering in her ear. "Because I trust you," she said, then swept off to see what the Aurors are doing.

"Bloody hell, she's weird," Ron said, shaking her head.

Hermione hummed in response. "Come on," she said, turning them both and heading back towards the castle and away from the entwined emblem of the Gryffindor and Slytherin houses. "We've got no time to lose."