Chapter Forty Seven

Draco had stepped towards him, reaching out, distress clear on his features. Whatever he might have said though, got swallowed up by a scream.

Harry's head snapped around to see with a sickening lurch of his stomach that a mist had rolled into the piazza. Already, he could make out the first wave of marching skeletons brandishing their weapons and the posters of Draco's face. The women around them were jumping to their feet and moving backwards, but like before the skeletons didn't seem interested in harming them, only in spreading out to show them Draco's likeness.

"We gotta go Sunshine!" hissed Bones, and Harry felt a hand wrap around his wrist.

"Come on!" Draco breathed, but Harry snatched himself away and stepped back.

"No," he said in disbelief. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

Draco glanced fretfully over to the nearest skeleton. Unfortunately for him, it was just as the woman in front of it pointed over at them, and they spotted Draco was there.

"Bollocks!" Draco swore, and drew his sword from its holder with a flourish. "Harry, get behind me!"

The skeletons still remained mute, but as one they moved in unison and began advancing on Draco.

Harry still didn't believe him, or want to go anywhere with him in the slightest, but he had to feel sorry for him as they bore down on him with menace. He felt the urge to fight back as well, but he didn't know how, or with what.

Within seconds, the first of the skeletons were on him, but Draco's sword was not just for decoration as Harry had initially assumed. It became very clear very quickly that he knew how to use it with deadly expertise, and bits of bones started flying through the air as he began smashing apart the attacking skeletons.

Some women were fleeing the square, whilst others were shouting at the HSP, telling them they had no authority here. The accordion player's melody had become rather dramatic. A lady in a heavy looking dress wearing a rosette saying "Votes For Women!" began ringing a large bell, scowling at the monsters as they attacked. "You're not welcome here!" she bellowed, as several others tried to pull them back.

Draco was fairing okay, but he was still struggling. Harry wrestled with his own dilemma as he resisted his urge to join in. This boy was in all likelihood a criminal, the HSP were probably just doing their duty, and besides, he had his dog with him who was viciously pulling apart as many skeletons as he could by seizing their leg bones and shaking them brutally. But still, Harry felt like he should be helping, not standing watching.

The horde was shifting around him, becoming a heaving throng, and Harry lost sight of Fan and Rocky. He allowed himself to be buffeted as Draco shaped the horde with his battle, forcing people to move with ever swing of his sword. He looked magnificent, Harry had to admit.

But that just made the pain cut deeper. How big an idiot was he to have believed a dream could have lead him to his true love? It was pitiful. How desperate must he have been for affection that he would believe that? Loneliness engulfed him again, like it had earlier in the day, but now he could very well believe it. Who could love him? He was just a boring elf. He should just go home and forget this ever happened.

The noise from the women around him was deafening. Most of them were yelling at the HSP to leave Draco alone as more and more of the skeletons poured into the square. Some of the women joined in with the fighting, stopping them from overwhelming Draco as he spun and slashed, defending himself from all angles. The bell was still ringing, but then it suddenly stopped, and hands pointed excitedly to the sky.

Armour clad women were descending on flying horses, brandishing enormous swords and forcing the skeletons to disperse. "Creatures of Halloween!" one of the huge women bellowed, slamming her fist into her breastplate. She had a mighty horn slung over her back, and seemed to be commanding the warrior women. "You are trespassers in our realm and will have respect for our laws!"

Draco managed to catch a break, and Harry watched him turn as he panted and dripped with sweat. The skeletons weren't done with him by any measure, but the arrival of the warriors had slowed them down somewhat.

Harry looked away before he saw him, and in doing so realised he was standing on a manhole cover. The noise around him was still overwhelming, so nobody paid much attention as he knelt on instinct and heaved it away from the opening. Just as he had suspected, it was a portal heading downwards; he was getting the hang of this now. They hadn't made it as far as the fourth level yet, but he figured anything was preferable to staying here another moment with Draco.

"Rocky!" he yelled over the din. "Fan! I've found a way out! Rocky!"

Instead though, he unfortunately attracted Draco's attention. His face dropped in horror, but Harry didn't care. He swung his legs around, and lowered himself into the blackness of the portal.

"Harry?"

He looked up to see Rocky flying awkwardly overhead. The warriors were also dashing through the air on their winged steeds, and he was having trouble getting near Harry.

"I've found a portal!" he shouted up, hoping he was able to hear him and go fetch Fan.

"Harry NO!" Draco screamed, trying to carve a path through a wall of skeletons. "Don't go down there!"

Harry though wasn't going to risk him pulling him back. He shook his head, then looked back up at Rocky, who was even higher in the sky now. "I'll meet you on the other side!" Harry hollered, and pointed downwards.

"Harry no! Stop! WAIT" Draco begged, but Harry was done with his tricks.

He gave one last, forlorn look at the face he had thought so beautiful, then slipped into the void.