Chapter 23: Will You Take A Life With Me?

Clarke groaned and opened her eyes. The dark insides of a room greeted her. The pain on her shoulder had subsided and her body was stiff. She tried to sit up.

"You're too ambitious," a familiar voice drawled. "You got your shoulder pierced just a few hours back."

"Lexa..." Clarke said groggily, her voice hoarse.

Lexa walked into Clarke's line of sight. "How are you feeling?"

"Peachy" Clarke joked feebly.

Lexa sighed and sat down on the edge of the bed. She looked worn out and tired, face clear of any paint, and Clarke thought she looked beautiful.

"You have such perfect cheekbones Lex," Clarke giggled.

Lexa looked like she was suppressing a smile. "Looks like the healers went overboard with the morphine."

Clarke suddenly remembered the events of last afternoon. She gulped." Lexa? Artemis...is he..?"

"He'll live, if that's what you're asking," Lexa replied more curtly than she had intended to.

"Listen.. Lexa... I didn't intend for anything like that to happen..."

"So what did you intend Clarke? You almost beat a boy to death in front of the whole of Polis. Now though it has strengthened the belief that you are more than fit to protect me, I want to know what happened there," Lexa crossed her arms.

"I lost control," Clarke muttered, staring at her feet.

"I know..." Lexa said. "But what happened before that...why did you lose control?"

"Let it go, Lexa," Clarke said. The prying questions were getting to her.

"Clarke, I cannot let you take up an official post if you cannot tell me what happened today," Lexa said patiently. "You cannot afford to just lose control like that. Do you understand the implications of that?"

"So what are you going to do? Fire me?" Clarke challenged her.

Lexa sighed. "Please don't be difficult Clarke."

"I am being difficult!" Clarke exploded. "Are you really going to give me that crap? After you were cosying up with Costia! Her hands were all over you."

Lexa took a moment to register Clarke's allegations as realisation dawned on her." So that's why you got distracted. You don't want her near me."

"You know, for the Commander, you are really thick sometimes," Clarke rolled her eyes at Lexa. "Of course I don't want her or anyone else all over you." She narrowed her eyes.

Lexa's lips pursed up in a small smile. "I will keep that in mind, hodness."

"Did you just call me hotness?" Clarke narrowed her eyes. "You got some nerves, woman!"

"No. Hodness."

"Exactly!"

"No,  Clarke, hodness. Love. You need to brush up your trigedasleng."

"Oh," Clarke replied, embarrassed, and recovered the very next second. "Go teach it to your wife."

Lexa laughed,"If you say so."

"Don't you dare Alexandra," Clarke warned her playfully, and pulled Lexa closer by the strap of her armour.

"Are you daring me, Clarke Griffin?" Lexa smirked.

"You won't accept the dare, would you now, Commander?" Clarke said, raising her eyebrows at Lexa.

"Wouldn't think of it," Lexa whispered in a voice that sent shine down Clarke's spine.