Prologue

Prologue

The quarter moon shone down onto smooth, damp rocks in a dense, pine forest. Hard paw steps hitting the ground could be heard coming from a cat pelting through the forest. The moonlight hit her blue grey pelt as she looked behind her shoulder. Three cats were pursuing her hastily. The one leading was a muscular sandy tom with one grey ear. The two cats that followed him were another tom, looking almost green in the light of the moon, and the other was a grey and white she cat with a short, white tail that looked like that of a bunny.
"Give up Dazepaw!" called the first tom to the escaping apprentice. "We will get you!"
The grey she cat following him spoke up, "It's no use, just let her go Pondear!"
"No!" Pondear snapped, "She is a danger to the Clans and she must be gotten rid of!"
"I agree with Bunnytail," meowed the green-grey tom, "She's too far ahead and she barely left the nursery a moon ago, she's done no wrong!"
"You don't know anything Grasspelt!" Pondear growled over his shoulder at the tom and started quickening his pace. Soon he was only a few fox lengths behind Dazepaw.
"Just leave me alone!" Dazepaw called over her shoulder at her pursuers and turned back to where she was running. She had been so caught up with getting away from the ShadowClan warriors that she hadn't looked where she was running. Soon, she had crossed the border into ThunderClan's territory. Pondear stopped as he got to the border, not willing to break the warrior code just for one cat.
"Fox dung!" He cursed out loud as Grasspelt and Bunnytail caught up to him. The rank scent of ThunderClan started filling his nose and he looked up to see a patrol of ThunderClan warriors approaching him. The leader of the patrol, a ginger she cat with white, orange and light ginger markings, stopped at the border and looked at the ShadowClan cats, unaware of the intruder on her territory.
"Pondear," she dipped her head in respect for the ShadowClan deputy as he did the same, "Can we help you with anything?" It was clear she wasn't very happy with the ShadowClan warriors so close to their border.
"Yes Flamestripe, you can actually."
Flamestripe looked at him questionably.
"You see," Pondear continued, "one of our apprentices mistakenly crossed into your territory and we were just trying to get her to come back." He made his voice as sincere and innocent as possible. A brown she cat from the ThunderClan patrol chimed in,
"That doesn't explain why we heard screeching coming from your territory! What's going on here?"
"Hazelbelly, there's no need to be rude!" Scolded a red-brown she cat who's eyes glowed bright green. As the patrols continued to talk, Dazepaw slunk out of the bushes, but the rustling was too loud and all the cats looked over at her. Pondear glared at her and turned to Flamestripe.
"See? We just want her to come back over here."
The red-brown she cat stalked up to her and sniffed.
"She reeks of ShadowClan, that's for sure but very strong fear scent, I think she was running away, not going for a midnight stroll," she reported. Pondear glared at her.
"She's a danger to all the clans! Give us permission to get her and we'll be out of your way." Flamestripe didn't seem satisfied with that suggestion and shook her head.
"You are not stepping one paw over our border and you cannot just kill one of your clan mates!"
"I say we take her back to camp," proposed the red-brown she cat. Hazelbelly looked at her, horrified. "Leafeyes! We are not taking a ShadowClan cat back to camp!"
"She's not a ShadowClan cat anymore," Pondear said, disgusted, "if she is caught on our territory, we have the right to kill her." With that, he flicked his tail in signal to leave and he and his clan mates trotted off. Hazelbelly looked down at the young apprentice and scoffed. Flamestripe laid her tail on Dazepaw's shoulder and looked into her eyes with sympathy, "Come on, we'll take care of you."