Chapter three

Sparroweye stared wide eyed at the young apprentice. "He's your father?! Why didn't you tell us?! Why didn't you tell me?"
In the past moon, Dazepaw had become sort of close to Sparroweye, since she reminded her so much of Robinpounce. Dazepaw felt somewhat guilty for not telling her until now. "I'm sorry," she mewed, "I didn't think it was important." Sparroweye continued staring at her, and then a deep voice cut in. "Hello Dazepaw." She whipped around to face the light ginger tomcat, his broad shoulders towering over her. "I-ugh-I'm-just-um-" she stammered as she looked into his brown eyes. He glanced at Sparroweye quickly and gave her a curt nod, and padded back over to his Clan, who was starting to file across the bridge. Sparroweye flicked her tail over Dazepaw's ear, "Come on, ThunderClan's leaving," she mumbled. Dazepaw slowly trailed behind her, staring at the ground. Suddenly, she bumped her head on someone. She looked up hostilely to see her old fellow apprentice, Airpaw.
"Watch where you're going you mousebrain!" He growled at her. Dazepaw held her gaze and stared into his blue-grey eyes, which were glowing brightly in the light of the full moon.
"Why don't you?!" She retorted. Airpaw drew his lips back in the beginning of a snarl, but as Dazepaw continued to look into his eyes, she noticed not hostility, but pain and regret. What is he hiding? She thought to herself. He had always hated her, though his eyes said otherwise. Before she could say anything more, Dazepaw heard a call from behind her. "Dazepaw! Hurry up!" It was Berryclaw, impatient that her apprentice was taking so long. She took one more look at Airpaw, and then quickly padded over to join her Clan. They had just started to leave the Island and were making their way over the bridge.

Back at camp, most of the Clan was asleep. Dazepaw shifted uncomfortably in her nest next to Snowpaw. He was still snoring, though it was lighter now. Memories of ShadowClan were still flooding her mind, Airpaw especially. What was it about him that had made her feel more sympathetic for him? Whatever it was, it was bothering her for keeping her up. They had gotten back from the gathering ages ago, yet some of the warriors were still awake. She finally decided that she wouldn't get any sleep, so she quietly rose to her paws and stretched her legs out. She licked her paw and drew it over her head, brushing off some of the moss that had clung to it. She heard shifting behind her and turned around and saw a pair of glowing, brown eyes staring at her in the dark. "What are you doing?" Roughpaw hissed under his breath.
"I can't sleep, so I'm going for a walk." She replied simply. Roughpaw still stared at her in the dark. "You're leaving the camp? Without permission?"
"Well why are you still awake?" She retorted. She had the right to go for a walk, and he couldn't stop her.
"Snowpaw's snoring is keeping me up," he looked over at his brother, "It always does," he mewed softly. Dazepaw envied Roughpaw and Snowpaw's relationship, and wished she had had a litter mate. Her mother, Bunnytail, had told her that when she was born, her two brothers that she was born with died. It was another reason that the Clan believed she was cursed. Roughpaw snapped her back from her memories. "Can I come with you?" He meowed hesitantly. Dazepaw looked at him, amused. "Of course you can. I'd be glad of the company."
The two apprentices quietly padded out of the den, trying not to disturb Snowpaw. They bounded out of camp, giggling and laughing. Roughpaw looked around. "I've never been out of camp at night before! Well, at least not without the rest of the Clan."
Dazepaw knew he was thinking back to the gathering earlier that night. She looked up at the full moon in the sky. She noticed Silverpelt shining brightly in the night sky and sighed. Roughpaw flicked his tail against her shoulder. "What's wrong?" He mewed. Dazepaw kept her gaze focused on the stars in the sky. "I'm just thinking about things, things no other cat has to worry about."
Roughpaw felt a pang of sympathy for her. "StarClan did not curse you, okay? No one in the Clan thinks so, especially not me or Snowpaw," he mewed reassuringly. Dazepaw looked at him with her bright blue eyes, and felt encouraged by his words. "Thanks," she meowed softly, resting her head on his shoulder. For some reason, she felt like she was being disloyal to Snowpaw, but she didn't know how.
Roughpaw looked down into her eyes. "I know that you like Snowpaw," he meowed and looked back to the moon, which was now starting to sink.
"What?" Dazepaw meowed abruptly. "I-I don't l-like him!" She continued nervously. Roughpaw laughed. "It's obvious you do. You spend a lot of time with him, and always seem to be looking over your shoulder for him."
Dazepaw couldn't help feeling like he was right, and she noticed that Roughpaw seemed rather crestfallen at the thought of her liking his brother. Then a thought crossed her mind. Does Roughpaw like me? She didn't say anything just in case, but the thought stayed there. For now, she was happy being his friend, especially after he had been somewhat hostile the last moon to her. She took her head off his shoulder and rested her chin on her paws. Sleep was hard to come by, but soon, she was in a deep sleep.