Chapter one

Chapter 1
It had been about one moon since Flamestripe had taken Dazepaw back to ThunderClan and still not many cats accepted her. Turtlestar had said it was okay for Dazepaw to join ThunderClan as long as she proved her loyalty. He had apprenticed her to a bright, multicoloured she cat named Berryclaw, who was a great warrior and a loyal Clan-mate, in hopes that she would influence Dazepaw to be loyal to ThunderClan. The only cats that really accepted her were Flamestripe, Berryclaw, Turtlestar and another one of the apprentices, Snowpaw, who's mentor was Flamestripe.
As Dazepaw lay in the greenleaf sun, a cat approached her. He obviously didn't really accept her as he looked quite annoyed that he had to talk to her. Dazepaw lifted her head to see who was approaching and greeted the warrior as he got closer.
"Toadfluff! Hi!" She sat upright as the red-brown and white warrior came closer.
"Berryclaw is looking for you, so maybe instead of lazing about, you could make yourself useful and go see what she wants." He walked off as soon as he finished talking, leaving Dazepaw by herself. She watched him walk away and got up to her paws and stretched. She continued to trot over to where Berryclaw was standing at the fresh kill pile, picking out a plump thrush to give the the Clan's elder.
"Hi Berryclaw!" Dazepaw greeted her mentor. "Toadfluff said you were looking for me?"
Berryclaw looked at her for a moment, confused and then lit up her face.
"Oh yes! I want to take you on a hunting patrol with Flamestripe and Snowpaw. How about it?"
Excitement rushed through Dazepaw at the thought of her first hunting patrol. She started bouncing up and down with eagerness. "Yes! My first hunting patrol!" She continued to jump around Berryclaw until she put her paw on Dazepaw's shoulder.
"Please be sensible about it, you don't need to give ThunderClan any more reason to reject you." Berryclaw looked around cautiously and then stood upright.
"Well come on!" She flicked her tail in signal and Dazepaw followed her to the camp exit where Flamestripe and Snowpaw were waiting. Snowpaw looked over at Dazepaw and scuffed his forepaw on the ground shyly, even though they already knew each other.
"So, is this your first hunting patrol as well?" he asked shakily.
"Ugh, yeah, it is," she replied nervously.
Dazepaw did already know Snowpaw but they weren't exactly friends, just acquaintances that trained together, so they didn't have the friendly bond. To be fair though, Snowpaw spent most of his time with his brother, Roughpaw.
Berryclaw turned to the three cats and smiled happily. "Well let's head off then!" She bounded out of the bramble entrance and Flamestripe followed, flicking her tail to the two apprentices. Snowpaw looked at Dazepaw and then followed his mentor, with Dazepaw right behind him. As she ran through the entrance, the brambles snagged at her pelt but didn't cut her so she ignored it.
The patrol slowed down to a walk as they got out of the stone hollow and as she walked, Dazepaw looked around at ThunderClan's territory and realised how much more she loved it than the ShadowClan territory. Sunlight streaming through the tall trees, soft but firm dirt under her paws and tasty prey. ShadowClan was dark even in the middle of greenleaf and was damp and muddy when you walked through it.
"Great, isn't it?"
Dazepaw looked up to see Berryclaw looking back at her, practically hearing her thoughts.
"Yeah, a lot better than ShadowClan." Dazepaw admitted.
What's it like over there?" Snowpaw asked curiously.
"Damp and dark mostly. And the prey is tasteless and stringy, even in newleaf and greenleaf." Dazepaw continued padding forward, trying to push the memories of her old, abusive Clan out of her mind. She wasn't concentrating on what was in front of her and she bumped into the back of Flamestripe. The senior warrior whipped her head around and glared at Dazepaw, but quickly eased her gaze and changed it to a friendly mrrrow of laughter.
"Better look where you're going next time!" She said half jokingly.
"Yeah, sorry about that," Dazepaw apologised. Flamestripe turned back to face her daughter, Berryclaw, and continued with the patrol.
"I was thinking maybe we should hunt around the ShadowClan border, I want to see what they're up too," Flamestripe suggested quietly to Berryclaw, "I don't really trust them after that incident with Dazepaw," she continued on. Berryclaw nodded her head in agreement to her mother's suggestion.
"Ok sure," Berryclaw turned and looked at Dazepaw, "Do you think you're up for it?" Dazepaw could tell Berryclaw was not sure if she could handle being so close to her old clan.
"It's fine, I'm over it," she lied. Berryclaw knew she was lying but she didn't say anything.
"Well it's settled then!" Flamestripe chimed. The hunting patrol continued padding toward the ShadowClan border, but they had no plans to cross.