Chapter six

Dazepaw lifted her nose and scented the air as Berryclaw had instructed.
It had been a few sunrises since Flamestripe and Leopardpelt had been sick and they had both recovered fully, and now Dazepaw was on a hunting patrol with Berryclaw, Leafeyes and Sparroweye.
"What do you smell?" Berryclaw prompted.
Dazepaw drew in her surroundings with all of her senses. She turned around as she heard the scuffling of prey under a leaf.
"It's," she let the scent of the prey rest on her tongue, "vole," she concluded. Berryclaw nodded with pleasure.
Instantly, Dazepaw dropped into the hunter's crouch and moved towards the vole, making sure to place her paws carefully on the ground as to not make any noise. Keeping her tail high, she crept up to the leaf; the vole was still unaware of the predator looming over it, and pounced on the vole, breaking its spine easily. She moved the leaf out of the way and picked up the fresh-kill by its tail and turned around to face her mentor with pride glowing in her blue eyes.
Berryclaw nudged Leafeyes with a smirk on her face as if she was saying, 'See? My apprentice is just as good as yours.'
Leafeyes rolled her eyes and smiled. "Well done Dazepaw. You're learning a lot from Berryclaw," she meowed.
Dazepaw shrugged, it was good enough. The red-brown warrior hadn't given her much praise but after she gave Leopardpelt, Leafeye's mate, the plump squirrel, she had started warming up to her.
Sparroweye padded over to the apprentice, standing next to her. Dazepaw realised just how small and lithe the brown warrior actually was, she wasn't much bigger than Dazepaw. But she was a quick and agile warrior at least.
As the hunting patrol continued through the territory, Berryclaw caught a wood mouse and a magpie while Leafeyes caught a rabbit that had an injured leg, making it easier for the red-brown warrior to catch. Dazepaw thought that it was too easy and that even she could've caught it if it wasn't injured, but she didn't dare say that to Leafeyes. After all, she was the deputy and she had still gotten a valuable piece of prey.
When the four cats padded back into camp, Dazepaw immediately rushed over to the nursery to give Speckpetal her vole. As she padded into the nursery, Speckpetal lifted her head and looked hungrily at the vole dangling from Dazepaw's jaws. She smiled and padded over to her, dropping the fresh-kill at the queen's paws.
"Eat up," she meowed.
Speckpetal nodded gratefully and started gulping down the prey. Dazepaw padded back out of the den and looked around for her friend, Snowpaw. She noticed him by the warrior's den sharing tongues with his father, Buzzardwish. She could hardly tell where Snowpaw started and Buzzardwish ended by how their white fur blended in so well together.
She padded over to them quickly and smiled curtly at Buzzardwish. His fur was glowing as the sun-high sun gleamed on him.
Snowpaw stood up and trotted over to Dazepaw, giving her a lick on the cheek while a purr rose in his throat. Dazepaw purred as well and returned the affectionate lick. She glanced up as she noticed movement and saw Hazelbelly, Snowpaw's mother, padding over to her mate while glaring at Dazepaw.
Snowpaw smiled at his friend. "Don't mind her, she just......"
"Doesn't trust me because my parents are from ShadowClan," Dazepaw finished.
"I'm sorry, I would make her like you if I could," he sighed.
Dazepaw shrugged. "You can't make someone like me if they don't, so don't worry," she reassured him. Snowpaw smiled at her and gave her ear another lick.
Dazepaw heard a low growl in front of her and saw Hazelbelly still scowling at her, and then stride off. Dazepaw scoffed. 'Let her be that way, see if I care.'
She stretched slightly and yawned. Snowpaw did the same and gave his chest fur a quick lick. Dazepaw was about to get some prey from the fresh-kill pile when she noticed Leafeyes padding towards her and Snowpaw.
"Hello again Dazepaw," she meowed in an amused tone. "I was hoping you and Snowpaw could maybe go out and fetch fresh moss for the elders? Mosssting has been complaining about his making him itchy."
Dazepaw nodded. "Sure!" She mewed happily, glad to help out and get away from Hazelbelly. Snowpaw groaned beside her.
"Ugh, I suddenly, not suspiciously at all, feel sick! I can't possibly do any duties!" He meowed, rolling onto his back. Dazepaw giggled and batted his ear with her soft paw.
"Get up you lazy kit!" She meowed. Snowpaw rolled his eyes and stood up, licking his chest fur with embarrassment. The two apprentices stumbled over each other as the made their way to the elder's den. They pushed their way in and started to rouse Mosssting and Flamestripe.
"Fresh moss time!" Dazepaw mewed and to Flamestripe.
"About time!" The tabby meowed and stepped off her moss nest and let the blue-grey apprentice take it. She turned around and waited until Snowpaw had Mosssting's moss and they padded out of the den and made their way through the forest. The bright Green-leaf sun dappled the ground and Dazepaw's pelt was beginning to warming up.
Snowpaw halted her with his tail and placed his moss on the ground. "This is a good spot to bury the moss." He looked around once more and started to dig a hole. Dazepaw nodded and put her moss down, and found a spot to dig. Dirt started to clog her paws and get under her claws. She cringed but pushed through and continued digging, scrunching her nose with discomfort every time dirt got under her claws.
When she had dug a hole big enough, she pushed the moss into it and covered it up. Snowpaw was already finished and brushed past her, padding deeper into the territory. "Come one! The moss grows thickest near the lake!" He raced through the forest and stopped as he came to the top of the hill that sloped down to the lake. He looked at the roots of the trees, inspecting them for moss. "Well go on!" he meowed. "Look for some moss."
Dazepaw rolled her eyes and padded over to a different tree and looked around its roots for some moss. She found a small patch of it under one of the bigger roots and pulled it up from the ground. It wasn't too damp and she hoped Flamestripe wouldn't complain about it. The elders had a tendency to do that. She glanced over at Snowpaw to see how he was going, and had to stifle a laugh when she saw him. His snowy white face was covered in green patches from the moss and small clumps of moss stuck to his long whiskers.
"Bwa-ha-ha!" Dazepaw couldn't hold her laughter in any longer and rolled into her back, crying hysterically with laughter. "Oh StarClan, my belly hurts!" she cried and put her paws to her stomach, continuing to laugh.
"Oh yes, very funny," Snowpaw mewed. "What do I look like?" he asked her, starting to smile.
"Well, you-"
She broke out laughing again and couldn't even finish her sentence. Snowpaw rolled his eyes and padded down the slope to the lake and looked at his reflection in the water. Dazepaw quickly faced after him, the soft wind blowing her fur back. She noticed Snowpaw's expression change, and he broke out onto a laugh as well.
"Maybe Turtlestar should change my name to Mosspaw, or Greenpaw!" he joked.
"Maybe your warrior name will be Snowmoss!" she meowed, joining in with the joking.
Suddenly, a strong wind came from behind them, making Dazepaw's paws slip on the wet shore. She yelped as she plummeted into the water. It engulfed her, filling her mouth and nose with the salty liquid. She thrashed her paws wildly and managed to bob to the surface. She spluttered as she came up, trying desperately to take a breath before she was pulled back under. As she was pulled back down, she heard Snowpaw's call.
"I'm coming!"
She tried to tell him not to but the water rippled violently around her as he dived in. She opened her eyes. Everything was blurry except for the snowy white pelt of her companion. His jaws clamped around her scruff and she was hauled up to the surface. She managed to catch a glimpse of three cats standing at the shore: a sandy ginger one, a golden one, and a dark brown one, before she fell unconscious.

{Ok, so I'm going to start writing a novella about Stripeblaze! What do you think?}