25 - I am not weak

JAIMIE PERRON

I sit down at the desk, avoiding the gum stuck under the table. Alden shuffles in next to me, shoulder brushing mine as he sits. A little shiver runs along my body and I try not to let him know. His ego is big enough.

A little smirk has settled onto his lips, and he looks into the distance.

"Miss Perron, hand out the books." The teacher instructs. I stand up and walk over to the front desk, scooping up the books and walking around. I slide them across the desks and take my time, missing the first half of the lecture.

The next one is Elodie's. I walk over to her desk, bracing myself for the giggling.

"Come on, I don't have all day, you sl*t." She snorts. The girls on either side look wary and apologetic but they snigger along.

"But you don't have anything else to do with your day, do you? I mean, you don't have a boyfriend. You don't even have any friends really." I look at her in false sympathy. Her cheeks explode into a crimson hue.

"Why are you always such a sl*g? You cant keep your mouth shut! Your such a useless b*tch. Why don't you go jump off a bridge?" I open my mouth to say something back, but I am interrupted.

"What did you just say?" I have never heard Alden talk like that before, full of threat and intimidation. He is stood slightly behind me, breath tickling my neck. I stay where is m but the proximity forces me backwards. His body is rigid and stern, commanding attention. The teachers own clatters to the floor and so does everyone else's jaw.

His face is contorted in rage and his eyes are hard. He looks unstable, ready to make something break.

She quivers, lip wobbling.

"What did you just say?" He demands and she dips her head, hand shaking as it grips her leg.

The class is staring and I am stood completely frozen. It takes me a minute to understand the scene in front of me before I make a sensible contribution. I don't want him to do this. I am not worth his effort and attention, and this is something I can deal with. It almost annoys me that he is so protective, as though he thinks I am weak.

"Alden," I warn.

He doesn't move at all if anything he stiffens. I make my voice harder and my words cut through his rage like a penknife.

"Alden, go sit down. I don't need your help with this." He turns to face me, eyes flickering over my face and visibly losing some tension. His fists are balled and his feet still planted. A new kind of feeling ripples through my body, anger at being underestimated. I don't need his protection.

"Get your ass over there." This time, it is a cold hiss. He looks shocked, but my resolve doesn't change. He hesitates, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. I gesture sharply. He walks away, heavy footsteps echoing in the room.

"You have work to do, don't you?" Jordan's voice booms around the classroom, waking the teacher from her wide-eyed haze. I shoot him a grateful look that he answers by quirking an eyebrow at Alden. I shrug and turn back to Elodie, the book still in my hand.

She keeps her eyes low and her mouth hangs open, an unattractive drool on her chin.

"Here's your book." I spit, walking back and throwing glares sharper than knives at the class. They keep their wandering eyes to themselves.

I sit behind Alden, at a spare desk at the back, far away since he watched me cross the room. I can't bear the heat of his skin next to mine, burning with anger, that was unnecessary and made me look weak.

"Sorry." He says as I sit down.

"Don't worry about it," I mutter darkly, and his face falls. He looks at Jordan pleadingly.

We don't speak, cautious glances exchanged between everyone else. The class whispers and chatters but the volume never creeps up. The teacher is clearly in shock, frozen onto the chair, stiff and silent.

I see Alden watching me warily, doodling carelessly. I try not to meet his eyes and avoid the awkward moment that comes along afterwards. I can't look at him, not after that. I don't need him, I can defend myself. I am not weak.

Jordan has been silent all lesson, which is a strange contrast to his usual self and I have to say it is nice. He is usually cracking inappropriate jokes and teasing me; I can't say I have missed it.

Finally, the bell rings and we are dragged out of our isolated daydreams. I throw my book into my bag and slip the pen into my pocket, shoving out of the door and into the corridor before anyone has a chance to call my name.

ALDEN WOLFF

I am following Jaimie out of the door when a firm hand tugs at my sleeve. I spin around to see Jordan, eyebrows raised. He tilts his head in a motion to tell me to wait with him. The teacher walks up, about to protest, but one look from him and she is silenced, edging out of the room herself.

I walk back in, slightly confused by his demeanour. His arms are folded across his chest and his face is confused.

"What was that about?"

"What?"

"Don't give me that!" He exclaims incredulously.

"Oh, that," I say casually attempting to brush it off. My voice cracks in surprise and gives away my act.

"The f*ck? Its a good job she pulled you away, you would've broke that bitch's nose!"

"I erm.. She was being a bitch. I had to say something!"

"Holy sh*t. That was scary. The look on her face, I thought she was gonna break your nose." He laughs to himself and I pull a face that would make a baby cry. He looks slightly edgy, almost apprehensive.

"I didn't do it for her."

"Whatever you say." He holds his hands up in mock surrender.

"Is she coming to the park later?"

"Yeah. Don't even say it."

I walk out of the classroom and into the hallway. I stand and sigh, resting against a wall, the cold painted walls sinking through my shirt.