32 - Because I Like You

JAIMIE PERRON

I drove the the hospital first thing in the morning, before school. It was 5:45 in the morning, still dark. The streets were illuminated by streetlights spitting shafts of yellow light down into the street and the creeping pinkness of dawn.

I got there, the lights already on and hurting my eyes. It is obviously not visiting hours, but apparently she is ready to leave, and wanted to come to school today. The doctors protested but couldn't stop her on medical grounds, so she is. I am not going to argue because if she got passed those self-satisfied people, she is fr*cking determined.

I pull up and find my way, bypassing the patronising man at the desk. I dont knock, just walk in. She stands up, not needing any support. Her hair is shining again, eyes glowing. She smiles at me, mischievously.

"I nearly got that doctor fired." She laughs, pointing out of the frosted glass over my shoulder. I turn and see a sharp man with square glasses perched on his hooked nose.

"Trust you to raise hell even in a hospital bed." I take the clothes out of my bag and she smiles.

"You know me too well." She grins, putting on the floral dress, tights, denim jacket and heavy boots.

"It was an obvious choice." I smirk and she puts a hand on her heart. I do notice that she has lost weight, bones sticking out if her wrist. The colour is back in her cheeks though.

"Am I that predictable?" We both laugh and I help her lace the boots, she is a lot weaker than she looks.

"Why are you coming back in?" I ask, "I would've milked for as long as it was legal."

"The dance. I want to see Lucy's latest rejections. They flirt with her so much and she properly crushes them. I wouldn't miss it for the world." She takes the lipstick out of the bag too, applying it perfectly.

"Fair enough." I answer, doubting that reason. She is happy with my acceptance, "Shall we get out of this dis-infected hellhole?"

"Lets go."

ALDEN WOLFF

I didn't want to go to school. I never do. Jordan called me and said that I should ask Jaimie to the dance.

"Hey dude, you have to do it today because that guy from the basketball team apparently asked over text, and another guy sent her a DM." He says, and I laugh into the phone. I feel a little tightness in my chest at the thought of two fit guys asking her. If anyone says I am jealous I will punch a hole through their ribcage.

"I'm not kidding!"

"What did she say?"

"Oh you know what she's like, "sorry, I'm flattered but no"."

"Thought so." I answer quickly.

"You've already asked, haven't you?"

"Yep."

"Did she sleep with you? I know you've already kissed -"

"You do know who we are talking about, don't you?" I say, adding a little threat in my tone.

"Oh, nevermind. You have a lot of self-restraint. I would have waited this long-"

"Bye."

I hung up and I got in the car. I psyche myself up for the flirting guys and girls. I have to keep cool if they try her, because she will if they try me. She's not clingy at all, and I haven't asked anything official so we are not really anything. I am not entirely convinced that she would say yes anyway. I cant commit to something definite. I have never been good at promises and forevers so I highly doubt its going to start now.