Chapter Two: Alia Fletson

Chapter Two:

Alia's POV

--

I huffed as I strolled onto the train, which would take me to the Capitol.

I glared at each tribute individually, as if to say, "Better watch out. I'm in it to win it and I don't plan on losing."

Slowly, I made my way into the train compartment marked DISTRICT TWO.

Unlike me, Cato seemed extremely happy to be heading to the Capitol.

"Why are you so happy?" I snapped.

"I've been waiting for this moment for twelve years," he answered matter-of-factly.

"You're excited to kill people?" I demanded, raising my eyebrows.

With the twisted smirk on Cato's face, I added, "Never mind. Don't answer that."

Abruptly, a woman with strawberry blonde hair and aqua blue eyes entered our compartment.

"Who are you?!" Cato demanded of the intruder.

"It's nice to meet you, too, Cato," she replied sarcastically, "I'm Alexis Letterman, your mentor."

Mentor? Oh, right. The annoying know-it-all who gives their tributes advice on how to survive the Hunger Games,  I thought to myself. By the annoyed look on Cato's face, I figured he was thinking the same thing.

"I won the Hunger Games two years ago," she boasted.

"That's greaaat. Now, are you actually gonna tell us how to win or not?" he growled.

Alexis snorted. "Well, I know how you're going to be portrayed at the interview... bloodthirsty, disrespectful, and overly confident... Nevertheless, I figure it's best to get to know each other before I give you advice. But, Cato, since I honestly don't want to get to know you, I'll start with your pretty little girlfriend."

My face contorted into a disgusted expression. "I'm not his girlfriend."

"Aw, well that bites, doesn't it?"

Cato's face flushed red with either anger or embarrassment... probably both.

Ignoring her comment, I said, "Well, my name is Alia Fletson. I'm sixteen years old and—"

"That's boring," Alexis interrupted. "Tell me something interesting about yourself. Any boyfriend waiting for you back home?"

I shook my head rigidly.

"Really? Well, I must say I'm surprised," she muttered, when a sly look came to her face.

She chuckled darkly. "Oh, I get it now. You secretly like him and he's totally in love with you, but neither of you will admit your feelings... especially you, Cato. The idea of love probably terrifies you."

Cato narrowed his eyebrows. "Do you have anything better to do other than stick your nose in our business?"

Alexis simply snickered in response, "I'm right, aren't I?"

Before one of us could reply, a middle-aged man stumbled into our compartment. By the way he walked, he was, without a doubt, rather intoxicated.

"Alexis..." he slurred, nearly falling over.

She sighed heavily. "What do you want, Haymitch?"

"All of the mentors have to attend a meeting."

She muttered something under her breath and then followed the strange man, Haymitch, out of the compartment, leaving me dreadfully alone with Cato.

Instead of sitting in silence for the train ride, I decided to say, "So, what you said to me earlier...?"