Chapter Nine: Cyra Merison

Chapter Nine:

Cyra's POV

-- 

"CYRA, SIT STILL!" Lacey snapped, and pulled me back into a sitting postion while she ran a brush through my hair. "It's a tangled mess...." Lacey mumbled and pulled harder, and a lock of my hair fell out and onto the floor.

Another lady, whose name I didn't catch, came over to me, with a bottle of foundation and some powder. I quickly stood from the chair.

"No. No makeup..."

I never wore makeup, as I refused to wear animal bi-products and hurt those poor little creatures. I stood up and tried to walk out of the room, when three Capitol Peacekeepers shoved me back into the chair.

"Now..." Lacey continued. "Let's finish what we started."

-- 

A bit later, Lacey smiled. "There. Finished." She handed me a mirror so I could see for myself.

I wore a full length silk gown, that was bright white at the top and fadded down to a rich dark turquoised blue at the bottom. I had on sliver heels, and matching bracelets. My hair was twisted into a braid down my back. My makeup was subtle, but my eyes were lined with dark blueish black, that made the violet pop out brightly.

I hated it.

As I reached to pull a pin from my hair, Lacey slapped my hand away. "No! You have to go on stage now. Rivers is waiting. Just be that girl you are and everything will be alright." Lacey gave me a soft smile and gestured out to the stage door.

 --

Rivers stood before me and took my hand leading me out onto the stage. The bright light took me by surprise and I blinked rapidly as it felt like my eyes were burning out of my head.

"Why, hello there!!!" Caesar Flickerman laughed and gestured to one of the chairs beside him. "How are you both faring this fine evening?"

Rivers gave a bright smile and I copied him the best I could.

"Very well, sir..." I nodded in a silent manner, agreeing with Rivers' answer.

"Good, good...." Caesar smiled. "Now, Rivers, you got an okay score, how do you feel about that?"

Rivers shrugged, "I guess I will do better when we get into the arena tomorrow."

Rivers gave another winning smile, that made about a dozen Capitol girls faint in the auddence.

"What about you, Cyra? You got  the BEST score yesterday..... Was there anything that made you want to work harder to get a better score?"

I sighed for a moment, over thinking my answer carefully. "I think I wanted to do well for my sister, because she would have wanted me to do the best I could...." I nodded and gave a small smile, pleased with my answer.

"Wow..." Caesar smiled, wiping fake tears from his eyes. "Very sweet... Anyway, last question, what kind of person do you both think that you are as a person, and that you will be in the games tomorrow?"

I huffed and thought quickly to myself while Rivers gave his answer. This would make or break my chances in the games. I could win sponsors or lose everything by this point.

"Cyra?" Caesar laughed. "What do you say?"

"Umm..." I sighed quickly. "I think I'm the kind of person who will always stand up for what is right, and do what I belive in, and not what everyone else wants me to."

At that moment, the timer buzzed.

"Wow... Pleasure, District Four tributes, we will be watching you both for sure tomorrow." 

Rivers and I nodded and quickly walked off of the stage.

I was surprised to see Finnick standing back stage, as we brushed past the District Five tributes who were walking out the moment we left.

"Great job to the both of you... Cyra, can I talk to you for a moment?" Rivers nodded, knowing he wasn't wanted here and hurried off to the back room.

Finnick grabbed my hair and pulled me over.

"What are you thinking?!" he shouted at me.

"What... what do you mean?" I stuttered in return.

"Do you not understand that....? Oh... nevermind. All you have to know is, be careful what you say.... It might come back and get you some day.... Good night, Cyra."

I was confused, as Finnick huffed and hurried away, leaving me standing alone wondering what I did wrong...