Chapter Twenty-Three: Cyra Merison

Cyra's POV

I felt the breeze of the afternoon slowly drift into the cave. I opened my eyes slowly and felt the warmth of another person close to me.

My eyes widened to see Gale with his arms around me, a sweet grin across his face, his eyes still closed. Huffing slightly, I pushed up and away from him, his body hitting the floor of the cave with a sudden thud.

"Ow!" Gale huffed and rubbed the back of his head. "May I ask what that was for?"

I rolled my eyes and went to pick up my backpack from its hiding place inside a dip in the cave floor.

"Don't touch me when I sleep...." I huffed and rubbed at my temples.

Gale rolled his eyes and collected his bag as well, before meeting me at the mouth of the cave.

"May I ask where we are going, wolfie?" Gale smirked and shoved me sideways.

I glared at him darkly and pushed my way out of the cave and into the sun. It was blaring hot. The sun beat down on my shoulders and had made me lose feeling in my legs and face.

Pulling my hair into a ponytail out of my face, I pulled my knife from my bag. "I think we should go hunting...." 

Gale smirked and pulled a bow and arrow from his bag.

"For what animal?" Gale laughed as we began to walk away from the cave and into the woods.

I simply smirked, facing him once more. "They're a rare animal.... You might not have heard of them...."

Gale stared at me confused, his eyebrows forming a small line across his forehead. "What do you mean?"

I laughed darkly and turned away from Gale. "They're called Careers.... And I think it's time we wipe out the population..."

As we continued to walk into the woods, I heard muffled laughter and spotted two figures ahead of me.

One was taller than the other, with blonde hair. The other, shorter one had long chocolate brown hair. Cato and Alia. Perfect.

"Cato, look!" I heard Alia snap, and point in my direction. "I think I smell fish...!"

Cato glanced around the woods, until his eyes suddenly locked with mine. Gale stood behind me, as we walked forward to meet them.

I felt rather short next to all these tall people. Alia was 5'10, Cato 6'2, and Gale 6'3, I had remembered reading it from their profile information the Capitol had given us..... I was only 5'9.

Cato looked up at Gale darkly, making me laugh slightly under my breath. Gale looked down on Cato in return of the gesture.

"Hello, Careers.... I don't believe we've met yet... I'm Gale Hawthorne." Gale smiled and stuck out his hand, only to see Cato giving him a twisted smile in return.

"Ohhh! It's coal mine boy..... We've heard about you...." Cato laughed and stepped closer to us.

Alia laughed, following Cato's twisted ways as well. "Cato, let's just kill them already....." 

Cato laughed and turned to Alia.

"I thought you would never ask...." Cato pulled his sword from his belt and flung in at Gale, who turned on his ankle and short an arrow in Cato's direction. It hit Cato in the knee, but he pulled it from his leg, his eyes blazing with fury.