Chapter Eighteen: Cyra Merison

Chapter Eighteen:

Cyra's POV

I woke up that morning on the ground. The grass was cold and wet as I rolled over and sat up straight.

As I brushed my hair out of my face, I noticed Gale staring at me. I quickly sit up and wrap my sleeping bag tighter around me, before giving him the death glare.

“What are you doing?” I snapped, standing up and getting right next to him. Gale laughed and looked down at my wrist, where my wolf bracelet was.

That’s when I remembered. He was that boy years ago…. I knew I knew him from somewhere. I’m sure he remembered, as he was smirking at me in a playful manner.

I smirked at him, realizing this was the first time we’ve had some kind of connection. I gagged inside of my head and reach for my knife in my pocket.

I walked away from Gale, and stabbed my knife into the tree, and pulled myself up into the tree, climbing up higher and higher until I reached the top. As I stood at the top of the tree, I heard the ruffle of branches behind me. I turned quickly and spotted Gale sitting behind me. My eyes widened, as I reached for him.

"WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?” I snapped and crabbed him by the shirt collar. Gale smiled and shook his head. The wind, no wait excuse me, the ‘Gamemaker made wind’ whipped at our hair. The sun was just starting to come up, and its beams were coming down softly. I looked down around me and spotted some familiar tributes walking deeper into the woods.

Alia and Cato.

I stared down at them, and saw them both laughing, about some joke we couldn’t hear.  They were holding hands and laughing into a deeper part of the woods, as they disappeared from sight.  I huffed and started down the tree, when Gale grabbed my hand.

“Cyra… they're leaving their camp.”  I stared at Gale in confusion.

“That’s for the update, captain obvious….” I huffed when he rolled his eyes and his grip tightened.

“What can’t Careers do, Cyra?” I squinted my eyes and stared at Gale.

I knew Careers could do almost anything. They could fight very well, they were great with words…. But they couldn’t hunt even if they tried.

Gale seemed to read my mind. He gave me a sly look and began to climb down the tree, as I hurried after him.

“What are you suggesting?” I asked quietly.

Gale smiled.

“I heard, that there are mine fields around their little camp by the Cornucopia. If we set them off-“

“No food!” I shouted, so loudly some birds fluttered off into the sky. This time it was Gale’s turn to give me the death glare. He finally rolled his eyes.

Gale smile and took my hand. “Come on….” He smiled and ran with me into the dark woods.

Moments later, we arrived at their camp. I saw little patches of darker grass, and assumed those to be the spots where the minefields were. I smiled, and remembered something.

I was always good with items of high tech. I knew how to fix things and make them work right again. Minefields were no expectation.

I bent down, and shuffled around it for a bit. These Capitol ones were a bit harder to work with than the ones I worked with back in District Four.

I fiddled with it for a while, and then I pulled the small device from the ground.

“Now, All I have to do is throw something at it from above us and it will go off….” I huffed and turned the device around in my hands, very carefully.

Gale smiled and held another one in his hands. My eyes widened.

“How did you do that so fast?” I huffed. Gale smiled.

“I’m not stupid…” He laughed and tossed it into the air, catching it in his hands. I huffed and shoved him backwards.

“Careful!” I huffed and set it down on the ground. Gale smiled and began to step back.

“What would you like me to do now?” He smirked. I sighed and stepped back.

“Go… Run… I’ll set it off.” Gales eyes narrowed, but then the widened out with fear.

I shook my head. “Just go…I’ll meet you back there..” I smiled and nodded carefully. Gale gripped my hand tightly and then dropped it.

“Don’t get hurt, Cyra…. Keep your eyes open.” He smiled and ran back into the deeper woods, far enough away so he wouldn’t feel the blast.

I sighed carefully and picked a rock from the ground.

“This is for you, Casey…” I sighed.

I picked the rock from the ground and tossed the rock at the device sitting on the ground.  

Then all I remember was heat… screaming and pain.

I thought I was dead...